Question: Would you attend an AUG if there were no alcohol available?

Sinéad O_Neill _London_ August 15, 2018

So Atlassian always market their events with the tagline "free beers and pizza"! What if there was no alcohol...would you still attend an event without it?!

6 comments

Comment

Sir Mārtiņš Vanags
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2018

HI,

Since when a beer is an alcohol? :)

If no joke, I think drinks and snacks is a nice thing and a part of the discussions after presentations, but I guess soda would be ok too.

Regards,

:) We'd still have drinks and food, just of the non-alcoholic variation!

Laura Gribble August 15, 2018

Frankly, the first time I attended it was despite the beer. I was a bit concerned that attending on my own as a non-drinking woman that the group wouldn't be welcoming to or accepting of me because felt a bit Boys Club. I was pleased to discover that was far from true. When asked what would make AUG/summit better I always recommend they explicitly say everyone is welcome in case there are people who feel put off by the 'beer and pizza' branding.

Well I'm glad you didn't feel left out Laura! That's great feedback regarding the branding, I'll remember that for future! 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 15, 2018

I go to AUGs to talk, listen and meet people.  I'd want some refreshments, but it really doesn't have to be beer - it's just a nice to have for me.  I just tend to have beer because I like it.  I like you lot more.

Like LouMiller likes this
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 15, 2018

I think the important part is the opportunity to meet and talk, whilst alcohol can loosen some folks vocal chords and encourage them to chat I do not feel alcohol is an absolute essential. 

More important are great talks (and wonderful organisers) with plenty of notice.

Food is useful for those who have come direct to the meeting from work with little or no opportunity to grab something to eat. 

Keep up the good work.

Phill

Cool, good to hear! :) Thanks!

Philip Colmer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2018

I don't drink alcohol, so it wouldn't alter my decision :).

I would ask, though, that there are diet drinks and/or decaffeinated coffee.

I haven't managed to attend any yet but I'm trying to … evenings are difficult to organise sometimes but I'm trying.

Laura Gribble August 15, 2018

There's usually a selection of soft drinks like coke and 7 up, including diet varieties - not sure about decaf

Yea so we don't usually supply tea or coffee because the venue may not have those facilities (we'd need boiling water and cups) but we always have diet drinks. :)

So the reason I asked was that a venue has offered to host one of our events but we cannot have alcohol on site so we were wondering if that would put people off. 

Sounds like it wouldn't. :) 

We'll still have drinks and food for when everyone is networking. 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events