Jira Software - Not just for Software!!

neil walcuch July 3, 2019

Hi,

I thought I would post something to see if there are any other users/businesses out there that are using Jira Software for anything other than Software, App and Web development? I have been using Jira for around 6 years and started on version 3. now using version 8. and am absolutely delighted with the differences and power the new version brings.

My current venture is setting up a global business to use Jira Software for automated Mech/Elec/SW Engineering projects that find "deviations"/issues preventing the course of the original project progress. Having custom workflows and data capture points means that we can swiftly work through issues and "Continuously Improve" the way projects are initiated, planned and executed. Bringing Agile working to traditional V-model and waterfall projects has been hugely successful in the roll out I have worked with, improving quality, profit and efficiency.

I'd would be interested to hear from other users who have a similar application or would be interested to know more!

2 comments

Comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 3, 2019

I've seen it used for HR, Legal systems, logistical track and trace, sales, organising events and trips, and heck, even house moves and weddings! 

Like neil walcuch likes this
neil walcuch July 3, 2019

They sound like excellent use of a SW dev tool!! :D

Simon Atkin July 4, 2019

In my company we have projects and workflows for a number of areas, including

• HR for new starters and leavers, and accident book
  • Change control for submissions to Change Board and approval workflow
  • Continual Improvement Register (for ISO standard compliance)
  • Incident reporting, RCA and remedial logging
  • and some others I can't remember right now

Essentially we use Jira as a common, company-wide accessible platform for progressing tasks and recording actions. It really helps to have one place to look for a lot of evidence when we have ISO audits.

Like Stuart Capel likes this
neil walcuch July 4, 2019

Hey Simon, thanks for your reply. I've experienced change control and task handling which both seem to work really well, especially having a central repository of information you can go back to!

Stuart Capel October 11, 2019

Hi Simon,

This is exactly what we are planning to do in my company - do you have any advice please?

Did you implement yourself or seek outside consultancy?

Simon Atkin October 15, 2019

Implemented it myself, no external consultants involved.

So for a new process, I start with the workflow, sketch out what the statuses are from New to Done, the intermediate steps. Then build a workflow with transitions. Create any new custom fields and add them to screens, which can then be added to the transitions.

Here's our Change Control workflow.

CAB.pngAny more questions just let me know.

Like Stuart Capel likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events