Viewed modules not registering (?)

Michelle Hurtley May 13, 2020

Hi everyone, I’m new here. I was slated to get the JiraAdmin Certification at the 2020 Summit the first week of April, but lo and behold, this thing called Covid ....

So, I’m here, prepping at home for my exam. 

I felt this was a good course. Definitely some overlap with my experience, but a good review is always a good thing. 

I do wish I could adjust the speaking tempo, but that is minor. More serious is the fact that I have a couple of the modules that will not register my view (ie: give me that all important check mark of completion). I have watched a couple ALL.THE.WAY.THROUGH more than once to try to get it to register, but still have one section that has NOT registered. 

Anyone else experience this? I’m up 2 hours early to engage, and I’ve spent 90 min rewatching material (sigh....).  Please share if you have any suggestions. 

(I’ve refreshed, logged out, logged in, tried from multiple devices, etc.)

Thanks & Cheers!

2 comments

Comment

Alain Wyss May 13, 2020

I had the same issue with modules not registering as completed. I think that it happened more when I took a break (pausing and restarting the video to take a call) or when I did not wait 5-10 seconds after the module video has completed playing. It looks like there is a quick flicker when the video is completed, where it reloads the page to mark it done.

The fix was easy, I just went to those that showed not viewed, and played them through once more (without listening, as I did the same before) and made sure to not pause it and wait a few seconds at the end before clicking the next video that did not register properly. Thankfully, I was able to do this in another browser window, so I could get some work done on the side.

Once all modules are marked as completed, I magically got the email with the certificate of completion.

Hope this helps!

Like # people like this
Michelle Hurtley May 13, 2020

Thank you ... yes, I realized it is NOT a good idea to take a break or even switch from full screen to minimized screen in that quick second after it finishes! You hit the nail on the head ... wait for the "quick flicker" when the video is completed.

Thanks, it did help!

Ben Thoma
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 14, 2020

Thanks for that great idea (separate browser window FTW, @Alain Wyss!)

Just to be absolutely clear: What I have learned is that at least 95% of each video needs to be viewed in order to be checked off.

If you happen to skip ahead in a video, you would need to go back and make sure you watch that portion you missed. Or if you end a video early (perhaps more likely) and move on to the next one, you'd need to go back and find the unwatched potion of the video.

I did some math to see what that would mean for videos of different lengths:

• For a 10min video you would need to watch all but 30 seconds to make sure it's checked off.
  • For a 5min video you would need to watch all but 15 seconds…
  • For a 1min video you'd need to watch all but 3 seconds…
  • And so on.

Note: the unwatched portion of the video may be anywhere in the timeline, and to my knowledge there's no way to see what portion was unwatched—other than your own memory.

If you are certain that your watch % is not an issue, please raise a ticket with the course videos that aren't registering as watched for you.

Michelle Hurtley May 14, 2020

Gosh Ben .. nice maths!  ;)

I could tell you definitely had to (re)watch a whole lot of it. I have opened up other browsers just for that purpose. 

After Alain's comment above I actually contacted support. They have fixed my issue with no certificate (even when all the modules were finally completed, it still didn't "finish").  I also logged the concern with them, letting them know some of the noted behaviors as well as the workaround discussed here. 

Thanks for doin' the math. I really was wondering just how much needed to be re-calculated!

~Michelle

Like Ben Thoma likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events