Server to Cloud/Data Center Discussion

Derek Rone October 20, 2020

Good afternoon!  Well the big announcement came out Friday about Support ending in 2024 for Server and a big push to move everyone over to Cloud or Data Center.  This will have a huge impact on our company due to the amount of data we have along with the major cost increase.  I am not sure of the number of folks that will be having to make the jump as well but curious on everyone's thoughts!

7 comments

Comment

jllange October 21, 2020

We are also in the same situation. The main reason we never moved to cloud was the amount of attachments (data) that we have. When they first did cloud they only offered a limited amount of data, now I believe they charge for it in a tiered way? I have to find the announcement so that I can make sure we are on top of this. Thank you for the reminder!

David Puchosic October 21, 2020

We're looking at this too and planning to pull together costs. It definitely will create a budgeting discussion and some hard decisions.  Here are some storage limits.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/storage-for-jira-and-confluence-873871366.html

Like Bob Griffin likes this
Derek Rone October 21, 2020

In my opinion this is a big enough deal for those of us on Server to be at least a table topic or roundtable discussion.  We are going to get nailed on pricing.  Add-ons alone are huge.  For server you pay a one time price, then 1/2 that price each year.  On cloud, it is over 3 times as much for some apps and does not have a "discount" each year.  I understand their business decision, but it is an awfully difficult pill to swallow since we have it ingrained in our company and now feel like we don't have a choice.  Please forgive my frustration, this is just a lot to process as the only Jira admin with a budget.

jllange October 21, 2020

yes I completely agree.  I am dreading the research I am about to do on pricing, as, like you, we have a lot of add ons that we depend upon.  We also are on a very tight budget.  Frustrating indeed!

Bob Griffin October 21, 2020

Our company is in the same predicament as yours, it is going to be painful. We have six Jira Server instances that use different configurations and will probably need to be merged together. This is going to be a very large price increase considering both Data Center and Cloud instances cost about 10x more than Server does.

Like you, I understand their business decision, but many companies might start looking for other options instead of Jira.

Brian Spence
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 28, 2020

I'm in the process of migrating from Server to Cloud, and have many of the same concerns.  I have a good amount of workflow automation, and a ton of reporting, utilizing add ons that are not supported in Cloud, and for which JIRA Cloud does not have an option.  Basically in addition to the Cloud migration I'm having to find new add ons that are Cloud compatible and then figure out how to replicate everything.

And the data point is extremely valid - I'd love to know from Atlassian how much it is going to cost me to maintain my attachment history, and what options they recommend if I can't do it in Cloud in a price reasonable manner.

Where my mind is, quite frankly, is look for a different solution OR start from scratch in JIRA cloud with new workflows, tools, etc.

Having someone from Atlassian, or an approved vendor with experience in the area, would be a wonderful discussion.

Derek Rone October 28, 2020

@Karen_Mustain is there a way to get this as a table topic for an upcoming meeting?  It seems like it might be of interest to many folks.  

Like jllange likes this
Karen_Mustain October 29, 2020

@Derek Rone  Our November meeting will have someone from the Atlassian Cloud Migration team.  After that we can do round table discussions. 

Like jllange likes this
jllange October 30, 2020

@Karen_Mustain - where can I go to sign up for the meeting?

thanks!

Karen_Mustain November 17, 2020

@jllange  Here is a follow-up from Elizabeth on your question from the November meeting.

I wanted to share some documentation for identifying custom fields in server, per her question during our session: https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/clean-up-your-server-instance-before-migration-1027123114.html

Like jllange likes this
jllange November 18, 2020

Thank you!

Bob Griffin November 18, 2020

This is very useful. It shows database queries to find Jira Custom Fields that are not used much and mentions other ways to optimize your instance. 

Thanks.

Brian Spence
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 18, 2020

I know there are other members of the Community that work for companies that provide software for Healthcare Providers.  While there may be some variances company to company, Atlassian recently informed us they were not able to sign our HIPPA BAA.  As a result, we cannot migrate to Cloud and have switched over to Data Center.

If a HIPPA BAA is required by your company, I strongly suggest getting approval from Atlassian prior to investing too much effort into migration planning.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events