New to Atlassian and to the group. Working on Jira Service Desk. Anyone else using JSD?

Ron Hess February 16, 2021

Hello KC AUG.  As noted, I'm new to Atlassian and Jira Service Desk.  I'm working to replace our current service desk with JSD and incorporate it with our Jira. Is anyone else doing the same?

4 comments

Comment

Bhanu February 16, 2021

Yes, We are. Do you currently have JSD installed on your jira instance?

Hello Bhanu!  No, not yet.  JSD is cloud, Jira is server.

Bhanu February 16, 2021

When you have server, why do you want to go for JSD Cloud?

Derek Rone February 16, 2021

I am assuming he is looking at cloud since Server support is going away, but that is just a guess.

Bhanu February 16, 2021

Ah, Gotcha. In that case, Migrating jira to jira data center and installing Jira Service Management on top of Jira would make sense to me.

Bhanu February 16, 2021

Another option would be to migrate Jira Server to Jira Cloud and then install Jira Service Management (formerly JSD) cloud on the jira cloud instance will be ideal solution as well.

So, You will have to make a decision between cloud or data center offering and then you can make a decision based on it.

Thanks for the feedback Bhanu and Derek.  Yes, knowing that we did not want to bring up JSD (at the time we started this) on server, we went straight to cloud.  It was also expected that our Jira installation would move to cloud at some point, but it has not yet.  There must be a reason why you're asking about this.  Can JSM in the cloud connect to Jira server (which was my understanding), or must JSM be installed upon Jira server for integration?

I am not aware of a Cloud/Server or Cloud/DC connection.  I believe they are different instances but I could be wrong.  We are just starting our Server migration to Cloud as well, and by start I mean discovery phase.

We use Service Management, formerly JSD as well.  I moved us over from another service desk a couple years ago.  What are you currently using?

Hello Derek.  We currently use Zendesk, but have outgrown it in desired functionality, and of course desire to link our service desk with Jira for a much more seamless integration with our other teams using Jira.

Ah yes, Zendesk.  We did a POC with them when doing our due diligence in evaluating options when Atlassian broke the news of ending server support.  Seemed to be a good product but we are pretty deep in Atlassian products and honestly it was more expensive.  Let me know if you have any specific questions about JSD (JSM), I did a presentation to this group on our help desk migration to JSM as well as custom workflow and automation.

bduncan February 18, 2021

We use Jira and Jira Service Desk on premise, and are looking at migrating to cloud this year. So we're starting to think through some paths to migration since we need to switch to Jira Service Management.

What's going to be the nature of the integration?

One thing we have is a Service Desk issue - that needs to go to Tier II Support / Application Development - has a scripted workflow that creates a resolving issue in a Jira project.

Derek Rone February 23, 2021

Good morning BD.  The JSD to Jira Service Management is just a name change, so that shouldn't be any big deal for you.  Your question about the integration I would need to know what integration you are referring to?  The move to cloud would be more of a migration.  Data, Functionality, Schemes and user communication.  All of these things should be focused on during a migration, we are going through the same process at my place of business.  

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events