Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is your motivation to become Jira Admin?

Monika Rani
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2021

Hi All,

There are lots of people who want to start their career as a Jira Admin or already performing a role as a Jira Admin.

I want to know your motivation about this role.

8 comments

Comment

Vero Rivas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2021

Hi @Monika Rani 

My main motivation is to help, configure and prepare the application to provide services to users / clients who need our advice to make a correct use of the product.

It is always nice to help people who want to use the tools and do not know how to do it.

Cheers

Like Monika Rani likes this
Tanya C January 9, 2021

In my experience, most folks want to use Jira and to do so must understand it.  They turn into an admin as a matter of course.  Once they know 'everything' they help others to understand it as well.  That's what happened to me.  My motivation now is to keep a large Jira Data Center instance healthy enough to serve the users as well as provide them with help to solve their complex problems while still maintaining a healthy system.  

lucia January 10, 2021

In order to help develop team using jira,I was asigned  to be a Jira Admin.I learned how to be a jira administrator ,eg creat accounts ,configure worklow and domain, authority  by searching data online.

Even though I still don't understand many configurations,I am still learning.

Monika Rani
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 11, 2021

@lucia  learning is very important part in Jira Admin's life and I am happy that you are learning your own. All the Best!

lucia January 11, 2021

Thanks ,I know the way is long,I will continue to work hard.Come on!

Soumyadeep Mandal - SaM
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 11, 2021

Hi @Monika Rani ,

Thanks for starting this awesome discussion!

Jira admin is a really important role in an organization. The demand has increased a lot in the last few years!

I'm also learning more about Jira Admin in the best way possible!

Regards,

Soumyadeep

Like # people like this
Bogdan Gorka
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 11, 2021

I can share with my experience on how I became a Jira Administration expert.

When I discovered Jira I was still a project manager. From the very beginning I wanted to learn as much as possible about the tool and its configuration. Quickly I was an advanced Jira user and still wanted to learn more.

I had a lot of industry experience and I wanted to use this experience to create custom configurations in project and process management. Everyday I learnt something new and wanted to share it with others. I started organizing trainings for Jira users.

Throughout my career I had an interest in IT systems like Microsoft SharePoint, Linux and WordPress. It turned out that this technical experience was also very useful in discovering more and more advanced features of Jira and Confluence.

Now I am integrating all these skills working as Atlassian consultant. All these elements like learning, helping others and creating solutions keep me motivated to continue working in this area.

On my blog I wrote an article which can help people who want to start their career as Jira Administrators. Read more at: https://jlabnotes.com/become-a-jira-expert/

Monika Rani
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 11, 2021

@Bogdan Gorka that's awesome

Alex Gallien
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 11, 2021

I more or less fell into the role over time. Learned about Jira and Atlassian stuff at my first IT gig, ended up eventually working Jira support for Atlassian themselves then realized there were Jira admin positions at most major tech companies so moved on to that.

My favorite part of being a Jira admin is getting rid of boring busywork for people. I hate doing repetitive and mindless things, and Jira gives us lots of tools to make those a thing of the past. Nothing better than hearing that I've been saving a team 10h+ a week due to process automation :)

The other thing that's cool about being a Jira admin is that you end up getting exposed to people from all over your org, assuming Jira is a universally adopted tool. I've done projects for IT, Engineering, Finance, HR, Legal, Security.. you name it. This has allowed me to forge connections across the company which comes in handy when shipping big projects.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2021

I have always enjoyed the tool side of Project Management. Mostly because technology like Jira can help teams tremendously with communication and making sure everything gets done and not overlooked. It also provides insight to senior leadership as well as lots of metrics. 

Like # people like this
Danno
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2021

Like some other folks here, I too became the Jira Admin as well as Scrum master for our company. I've learned a lot about how to set things up even with my limited knowledge (thank you for your YouTube tutorials @Bogdan Gorka ).

I'm now starting to figure out what certifications I should acquire to add to my qualifications in this area.

One thing I find frustrating though is the constant issue of running up against the constraints of the standard environment. As I learn something new with automation or whatever it teases me with the thought that I can have it do something it can't unless you buy an add-on or are very adept at programming. Hmm, something else I guess I'll have to learn how to do.🤣

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events