Trying to become a Jira Admin. What is the most cost effective training/resources

Derek Kirchner August 13, 2020

Hi Everyone,

I have been out of work for the past month due to Covid and have heard about becoming a jira admin from a friend. Switching from the retail life to the IT life (Hopefully). Seems like they are hiring everywhere! Being tight on money what would be best place to start? I already did the free basic tutorial to start with for a broad knowledge of Jira.

Should I follow through the Atlassian course starting with Part 1 and Part 2? Or is there a better more cost effective option. 

Any help would be appreciated!

8 comments

Comment

Darlene Ashleigh Jeter August 13, 2020

This is the place you want to be. Good luck and welcome!!

https://www.atlassian.com/university

Take all the free training first and see how you do.

Like Derek Kirchner likes this

Started with the basic. I’ll move over to the other free ones. Thanks!

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 13, 2020

You usually see great offers when you first go on to Udemy that disappear later 

remove their cookies to reset back to first time visitor 

Joshua Sneed Contegix
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2020

Hi Derek,

Continuing any consumption of information on the Atlassian tools is a good way to get started. The next is take that old computer you or a friend have, start following Atlassian's install guides, and learn to setup/break/fix the apps. Best luck in your hunt. Cheers!

Like # people like this

Thank you!

Matthew Stublefield
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2020

Have you checked on Udemy? There are some courses there: https://www.udemy.com/courses/search/?q=jira+administration

Full disclosure: one of those courses is mine, but I'm linking you to the search page so you can see all the options.

I will also look into this. Thank you!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 13, 2020

Hi Derek - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I would get a free instance so you can play with it and run through scenarios. You also might see if you can shadow a local admin in your city some to see that the job looks like. 

Create some scenarios for helpful things around your house/church/school/organization, etc. and see what that looks like. 

I would be happy to do any mentoring I can online with you. 

Like # people like this

Hi John!

I appreciate you replying!

i went under the the community for where I lived. But no one has posted there since January. But I will try to see if anyone is paying attention. 

I set up a free instance already. I will go ahead and start to create some scenarios to get more acquainted with it.

If you were able to mentor me I would so much appreciate it!

It is hard to figure out where to start sometimes. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 13, 2020

drop me a line.

Alex Gallien August 13, 2020

I'd recommend looking into the various certifications offered by Atlassian. It gives you a good structure for learning, and something to put on your resume. I am an interviewer for my team, and certifications always look good.

Once you're feeling comfortable, a good first point of entry into an admin job is by working through a recruiting/temp agency or an Atlassian Partner. While it's mostly contract gigs, it gives you a way to build up the experience to allow you to land a FTE gig.

Gal Fatal
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 13, 2020

Hi Derek,

I think the best way to start with the certification is to try the 

ACP-600 Project Administration in Jira Server.

You can find a bundle that includes a great course and exam registration at a reduced price (100$)

Of course, it's better to have experience as an admin but I think if you take this course and practice you have a good chance to pass.

Good luck

Gal.

Thanks Gal! I will definitely be looking into this!

Like Gal Fatal likes this
Inna Gordin August 13, 2020

Hi! In addition to all these great resources, definitely check out https://www.jirastrategy.com. It's by Rachel Wright, and she has great insights on her website (and in her book), and some of her new classes on linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/learning/jira-basic-administration

Best of luck!

Inna

STW Atlassian September 2, 2020

@Derek Kirchner 

Hi Derek,

I just posted this advertisement for a Jira Administrator volunteer role. Great way to apply your learning and gain experience. Take a look: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jobs-Careers/Save-The-Water-is-hiring-a-Jira-Administrator-Volunteer/gpm-p/1471494

Reach out if you want more information or comment on the post and mention me.

Have a wonderful day!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events