wrong screen displayed in workflow transition

Flavius Nopcea July 12, 2012

When I create a workflow, intially the workflow is not associated with any project.

Since the Screen schemes are associated with a project, how does jira know what screens to display in the edit move of a workflow when you create a transition? Isn't this a problem, so that I can set there a screen (in the workflow) and that screen will not be included in the project definition?

What will happen then? No screen will be displayed? Isn't this confusing?

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Flavius Nopcea July 14, 2012

ok,

but in this way in the workflow transition when I set a screen I can put there a screen that is totally wrong for the project where the workflow will be assigned, right?

The admin has to be very carefull what screen he selects there. for example that screen will work with some collection of fields. And those fields will totally be not linked to the fields that the project will use.

So there is no control from the part of jira but this is left totally on the shoulders of the admin.

Am I correct or am I missing something?

Thank you

1 vote
Mark Symons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2012

Following up on the info given in others' answers... the "Configuring Fields and Screens" has an excellent diagram that shows at a glance how things interrelate.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2012

Yes, your admins have to think about what they're doing, as they can use any screen in any place.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 12, 2012

You're mixing up screen schemes with workflows.

Jira uses screens in FOUR different ways

1. For Issue VIEW - in the screen scheme
  2. For Issue CREATE - in the screen scheme
  3. For Issue EDIT - in the screen scheme
  4. For transitions - in the workflow

Screen schemes are selected via Project and/or Issue type.

Workflows are selected via Project and/or Issue type.

But there's no need for a Project and/or Issue type to use the same screen schemes and workflows as another one.

The workflows are effectively independent of the screen scheme. There's nothing to stop you using the same screen for transitions as you use to edit issues, or create them etc, but equally, you don't have to.

Yes, it's confusing. Screens and "why field X does this in project Y and that in project Z" is one of the hardest things for new Jira admins. But it is powerful.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 12, 2012

Edit is not a workflow operation and hence Edit screen is independent of workflow configurations. In the workflow, you can define a screen for each transition and that is what appears when that transition is performed.

Edit screen always looks at screen schemes.

Suggest an answer