wrong fields on edit screen

Flavius Nopcea September 10, 2012

Hi,

I have configured 2 screens for 2 different issue types.

When I edit an issue and change it's type on the edit form the fields are not updated to the new issue type. The same fields remain.

Is this ok?

2 answers

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 10, 2012

There is an awesome plugin which may make your life easier.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.jira.plugins.jira-admin-helper-plugin

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 10, 2012

OnDemand - can't install plugins.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 10, 2012

Check that your screen scheme is associated with the project, and that it is correct and says "screen A for view/edit/create issue type AAA and screen B for view/edit/create type BBB"

I doubled checked and everything seems to be ok. I looked into the http requests that get triggered in the edit modal window of an issue and there is no request triggered when the issue type is changed. I wonder if this is a bug or this is how it should work...

can you help me?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 10, 2012

Ah, I think I'd missed that in the question, sorry.

I don't think it will ask you for new fields if you have the issue type on the edit screen and are selecting a different value in there. (I think it should, but I think this isn't implemented in the modal boxes yet)

Can you quickly check that editing an existing issue of each type shows the right fields for each type? If so, then I think you've hit a "feature"!

One other thing to check - what happens on edit if you change the field configuration and make the new fields mandatory on the target issue type?

Can you quickly check that editing an existing issue of each type shows the right fields for each type? If so, then I think you've hit a "feature"! --> yes, it shows the correct fields but when you change the issue type the fields are not updated --- so this is a feature that should be implemented

One other thing to check - what happens on edit if you change the field configuration and make the new fields mandatory on the target issue type? --- i have two field configurations... one one configuration the due date is not required...on the other is required. I set the configuration where the field is required to the issue type I want to check.

When I edit the issue and change the issue type I leave the due date empty and it let's me save the issue...so I think this is a BIG BUG! you can make the test for yourself. Can you please confirm this? I consider this a serirous bug!

Nic, can you please confrm my findings? Thank you

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 10, 2012

Ok, I would have expected the system to throw you back and say "I need a due date for issue type <target>", it certainly should NOT let you complete the change of issue type without demanding the field be filled in.

Definitely a bug and not a quirk (the not updating fields is a weakness, but in itself, does not break your data. Letting you skip mandatory fields when changing issue type breaks data integrity, so it's a bug)

Flavius Nopcea September 17, 2012

should I open an issue for this bug?

Suggest an answer