wrong field on screen for a particular issue type

Flavius Nopcea July 12, 2012

What happens when on a screen I put a field that should be given a value for example when an issue is created and that field is not defined for that particular issue type?

Does jira allow this kind of configuration?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 12, 2012

If a field has the right context to appear, and is not hidden in the field configurations, then it will appear on your screen. If it is hidden OR does not have the right context (i.e. doesn't belong to the project and/or issue-type) then it will simply not be drawn at all.

but still Jira allows me to put it on the screen right? and the check if it show will be done later, right?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 12, 2012

Yes, a screen is a list of fields that would appear *if* every field was global. If you hide fields with field configuration or limit them to certain projects/issue-types, then Jira will discard them before showing them to the user.

This lets you do things like "have a single issue creation screen for all projects, but only show the field called root-cause on issue-type called incident"

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 12, 2012

Nope. You should associate the field with the issuetype. Otherwise it won't appear on the screen.

but when I create the definition for the screen I can choose from a list of fields. And in that list the field is present. I put the field in the definition of the screen. Is not this an error? Is the check made at the moment the screen is shown?

Suggest an answer