wrong assignee when importing issues

Ezra Aka December 2, 2019

i have a CSV file to import issues to Jira, among other fields i have the "Assignee" and the "Reporter".

for some reason the Report is always as i have in the CSV file, but the Assignee always set to be the Project lead (even if they are the same in the file)

any idea why this can happen?

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 4, 2019

Hello Ezra,

Sorry to hear you are facing this problem.

Per your description, I understand that, when you import issues using a CSV file, all issues created from the import are assigned to the Project Lead and not to the user defined in the file.  Is that correct?

I would check the following possibilities:

1 - Check if there's a post-function configured to set the Project Lead as the assignee

- Navigate to the project where you are creating your issues > Project settings > Workflows > Click to edit the workflow related to the issue type you are facing the problem

- On Diagram mode, Click in the create transition > Post functions > Check if there are any post functions that would automatically set the assignee field:

Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 11.45.50.png

2 - Confirm if the users added in the CSV file are valid users and have the Assignable user permission under Project Settings > Permissions. Also, try to add the user as the assignee after the issue creation and check if it works properly.

3 - Check if you are correctly mapping your assignee field when importing your issues using the CSV file.

Let us know if this information helps.

Ezra Aka December 4, 2019

hi, thanks for the reply. i have checked the issues above but that didn't directly helped me - but have realised it has something to do with the post function.... at the end we ended by creating a workflow only for the migrated defects so that the Assignee will not be replaced with the component lead (we will migrate to a special project and then move it to the correct project)

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 4, 2019

Thank you for letting us know how you managed to solve your issue, Ezra.

In case you still would like to troubleshoot why that specific workflow is adding the Project lead as the assignee, please provide us with your current properties and post functions added to the create transition and initial status.

Suggest an answer