wrong JVM version JIRA software 7.0.2 & 7.1.0 when config.bat is run

Archipelago Helpdesk February 18, 2016

Hi,

I've installed JIRA software 7.0.2 & 7.1.0 on  Windows 7 and Windows 2008 R2.

(that is, installed 7.0.2 then tried the below, removed 7.0.2 and installed 7.1.0 and tried the below)

I need to connect to an existing database - upgrading production system here from 6.4.1

Install works, but when I stop_service and run config.bat from %JIRAhome%\bin\ it insists

*******      Wrong JVM version! JIRA requires at least 1.8 to run.      *******

This is the same error if no java is installed other than the what is in C:\Atlassian\JIRA\jre

or if I move the install to C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\jre

or if I change setenv.bat

or if I change catalina.bat

or if I change the java home in the system advanced in Windows and install a Java 8u73 and point the setenv and catalina bat's at that.

Any hints on how to make this work? I'm continuing to try suggestions from various forums.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's part of the info requested

Here's from the system, figuring out how to get it during startup.

C:\>echo %JAVA_HOME%

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_73

C:\>Java -version

java version "1.8.0_73"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_73-b02)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.73-b02, mixed mode)

C:\>for %i in (java.exe) do @echo %~$PATH:i

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_73\bin\java.exe

Atlassian JRE is on the data drive:

D:\Atlassian\JIRA\jre\

Catalina log

19-Feb-2016 11:27:52.636 INFO [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener.log JAVA_HOME:             D:\Atlassian\JIRA\jre

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2016

Can you print out the java version and java locations during startup to debug where it's getting it from?

Archipelago Helpdesk February 22, 2016

Answer was:

stripping out every reference to Java other than the Atlassian installed JRE then

adding a validation query to  dbconfig.xml and restarting Jira

<validation-query>select 1</validation-query>
then ensuring licensing (due to recent switch) serial numbers were all in order was the fix.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 22, 2016

Glad to have helped smile

0 votes
Vectalis June 21, 2016

Hi, I experienced the same trouble.

For me this just the message that is misleading.

Actually as we also have a confluence instance installed on the same machine, I check the JAVA_HOME variable declared : c:\WhatEver\...\jdk.

This rang bell : I had same kind of issue with confluence installation but the message clear : "You must point to a JDK not a JRE"...

Therefore I changed the path of JAVA_HOME, accordingly in the setevn.bat for JIRA instance... Et voilà !

Suggest an answer