workflow based on customized field

Suganya January 9, 2018

Hi Team,

The scenario is the user need to fill a form and if the form is approved by other user(admin) a particular state in the workflow should start.The form need fields like to upload certain documents and approve or reject button. If admin approve the workflow should start else it should abort.

How do i implement this in Jira. Is there any plugin? Need help

Thanks in advance

1 answer

1 vote
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2018

Hello,

You could create two transitions which would lead from a status, where you want to make the decision on continuing with the workflow or not, to the same status. One transition would be called Approve and another one Reject. You could add a screen with attachements to the transitions. These transitions would be available to the users who can make the decision(out of the box functionality). Then you could use an add-on to autotransition the issue to the required status depending if the issue was approved or rejected. You would need an add-on for it. For example, Power Scripts or Adaptivist Scriptrunner.

If you use Power Scripts then there is a routine called autotranistion which would let you do autotransition. You can find more info here

https://confluence.cprime.io/display/SIL/autotransition

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2018

Script Runner also has fast-track transitions, where you can build the conditions without coding.

Suganya January 22, 2018

Thankyou.. am clear with the transition part. Is there any option where I can create a form page with my company logo etc. and link it to jira workflow?

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2018

You can not link a custom form to a workflow transition. But you can create a button near the workflow transitions and use the button. But you would need to update issue fields and transition the issue in your code. Also you would need to paint all issue fields in the form by yourself and it is not a trivial task.

Such buttons are called web-items. You can read more here

https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/fragments/WebItem.html#_dialogs_advanced

Suganya January 30, 2018

1.can a screen lead to two transitions. like i have an initiate transition which has a screen "testscreen" . I have added the "testscreen" to two more transition like "accept"  and "reject". so when i click on initiate button  "testscreen"  pops up which has only initiate button, is there a way where if i click "initiate" the "testscreen" must have accept and reject button as well along with initiate button.

2. Say i add drop-down field in screen. based on the item i choose from drop-down the fields in the screen should change based on my customization.

Thanks in advance!!

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2018

I think it would be too much work to do. You should not change Jira UI that much.

Suganya January 30, 2018

yeah :( :( but..is point 2 at least possible?

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2018

It is possible but you d better use Power Scripts Live Fields or Adaptivist Scriptrunner behaviour otherwise you would need to write javascript code.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2018

1) No.  A transition can be reused, but by definition only has one end-point status and one screen.  What you're trying to do there is add pointless complexity for the end user - they have to click to start, then choose which transition to use.  It is easier to simply offer both transitions to them immediately on view.

2) The fields on a screen are determined by the screen, which is selected by the issue type for create, edit and view, and by the transition if you go through a screen on a transition.

Suggest an answer