will deleting a jira user delete his content?

Tal Amir September 23, 2015

if we remove a JIRA user on our own installed server, will his content be removed ?

if so, how do we associate it to another user or otherwise retain it ?

5 answers

0 votes
vickey palzor lepcha September 25, 2015

I don't think it allows you to delete ? Any user id with a content related it cannot be deleted - you can disble the user id.

0 votes
Shawn C
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 24, 2015

Hello Tal,

From the UI/User Management, you cannot delete a user who has created content (comments, issues, etc) in your instance; the only option is to disable them. 

-shawn

0 votes
Tal Amir September 24, 2015

Thanks smile

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 24, 2015

As Michael says, disable them. JIRA stores references to them in comments and history as their database id, not as text of their name so deleting the user will cause sql errors when viewing issues that would want to reference them. I move them to a group named 'inactive'

René Schabacker September 24, 2015

Are user ids unique for "system lifetime"? What I mean is, what if user A gets a user id X because of some internal naming conventions, leaves the Company and later user B would get user id X because the naming conventions lead to the same as of user A? Do you say "OK, A is not here anymore but user B gets a different id as if user A was still here"? Or does B get X and hence access to all issue A had before?

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 24, 2015

I don't believe they are reused.

Michael Kornatzki
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 24, 2015

If this was the case that you need the userid then change it for the not used user. With script-runner no problem

René Schabacker September 24, 2015

Renaming the old account with script runner is a good idea! Thanks!

0 votes
Michael Kornatzki
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 23, 2015

the content will not be removed but the information of the author.

I prefer to disable a user. if a user didn't have the right to login (jira-user) then he is disabled and didn't get count as a licensed user

Suggest an answer