will deleting a jira user delete his content?

if we remove a JIRA user on our own installed server, will his content be removed ?

if so, how do we associate it to another user or otherwise retain it ?

5 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

the content will not be removed but the information of the author.

I prefer to disable a user. if a user didn't have the right to login (jira-user) then he is disabled and didn't get count as a licensed user

Joe Pitt Community Champion Sep 24, 2015

As Michael says, disable them. JIRA stores references to them in comments and history as their database id, not as text of their name so deleting the user will cause sql errors when viewing issues that would want to reference them. I move them to a group named 'inactive'

Are user ids unique for "system lifetime"? What I mean is, what if user A gets a user id X because of some internal naming conventions, leaves the Company and later user B would get user id X because the naming conventions lead to the same as of user A? Do you say "OK, A is not here anymore but user B gets a different id as if user A was still here"? Or does B get X and hence access to all issue A had before?

Joe Pitt Community Champion Sep 24, 2015

I don't believe they are reused.

If this was the case that you need the userid then change it for the not used user. With script-runner no problem

Renaming the old account with script runner is a good idea! Thanks!

Thanks smile

Hello Tal,

From the UI/User Management, you cannot delete a user who has created content (comments, issues, etc) in your instance; the only option is to disable them. 

-shawn

I don't think it allows you to delete ? Any user id with a content related it cannot be deleted - you can disble the user id.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

165 views 1 3
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you