why is the user that hits "Resolve" transition beeing removed from Participants

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 11, 2013

If i hit "Start Progress" on an issue that is in status "Open"

my name appears in the participants. <- that what makes sense...cause i am participating

now when i hit "Resolve" my name gets removed from participants...thats odd cause i did spent some time working on the issue.

my Resolve transition has some postfunctions like:

• The Resolution of the issue will be set to Done.
  • Assign the issue to the reporter.

Transition View: None - it will happen instantly

so i don't need to enter anything..just hit transition and i am done.

if i add a comment at anytime my name will stay in participants...

i tried to add postfunctions to copy the value of assignee to participants...no success.

everytime i don't enter a comment and just hit "Resolve" the name disappears form participants.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 11, 2013

The "participants" custom field I *think* you are asking about is the one from the Jira Toolkit?

If so, then this behaviour is correct.

The participants field takes the

• current assignee,
  • reporter,
  • anyone who has made a comment on the issue,

adds them into a deduplicated list and puts that on screen for you

So, your "assign issue to reporter" removes you from the participants because you're no longer the assignee. Later, you comment on the issue, and that then keeps you on the list permanently because you match the list above again.

You should NOT try to use post-functions to add to the field. It's a dynamic derived field - it actually holds no data itself, it works out what to display (and index) based entirely on other fields. Poking data into it simply loses what you've poked in the next time the issue is altered.

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 11, 2013

ah i see. ok thank you nic.

so if i want to keep my automatic transition actions i need to add one that creates a comment.

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/5401/jira-automatically-add-a-comment-on-transition

that is what i was previosly lookin for

i thought any action like transitions that i perform on the issue marks me as a participant. now that is clear to me.

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 11, 2013

i guess that's what i need

"user has been an assignee at any time in the past"

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 11, 2013

Yup, rather than trying to hit the field itself, you need to go after the data it's deriving the information from!

The source code is public though - I've built a couple of simple variations on the participants field to make it use different rules. For example adding "user has logged work on issue", "user has been an assignee at any time in the past", "user is in custom field (user) called Project Manager".

Suggest an answer