why is my field required on other transitions

Will Wilson April 19, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: How to make JIRA applications fields required in a workflow transition

I created a Workflow like the standard JIRA Workflow.  When an issue gets resolved, I want to require that the Resolution field is set.  I do not want to require this for other transitions.  In my Workflow, I went to the two transitions that go to Resolved, and added a Validator that made the Resolution field required.  I did not add a Validator to any other Transition.  

After that, I went to an issue and did "Start Progress" (this Transition is from Open to In Progress), and it brought up the Edit Item screen, as expected.  I made some changes, left the Resolution field unselected, and tried to save, but it showed an error that said the Resolution field is required.  I do not understand why it says the field is required.  I expected that it would only be required during one of the transitions to Resolved.  Any idea what I should do?

Will

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2016

The resolution field is unique in that it is required anytime it is presented. You don't need a validator or field configuration to do that. It should ONLY be put on the screen presented during the transition you want it set.

So I need the Resolution field to be on the Edit Item screen sometimes, but not always.  For example, if an issue moves from Open to In Progress, I want to show the Edit Item screen, but I do not want the Resolution field to be required.  Do I need to create 2 separate Edit Item screens?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2016

No.  Never put the resolution on an edit screen.

Create a new screen and use it in the transitions.

If it's not an Edit screen, how can the user edit the field?

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 19, 2016

NEVER on the edit screen. It isn't a field that should be edited like other fields. It should be set during a transition. Like Nic said, put it on the transition screen. If it is displayed it is required; that is why it should only be displayed on a transition screen in the transition you want it set.

Will I need 2 Screen Schemes?  I have 1 now, and it looks like I can only tie 3 screens to it - 1 for Create Issue, 1 for Edit Issue, and 1 for View Issue.  I think I need that Edit Issue screen to stay like it is, with no Resolution, because there are times I want to edit an issue without giving a Resolution.

So I will make a new screen called "Transition Screen", and add the Resolution field to it, but I am not sure what to do after that.  (Sorry for my ignorance, I am new to JIRA and trying to learn!)

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 19, 2016

The screen used in transitions aren't part of the screen scheme. I have a basic screen I use for most issues that has the resolution and comment field only. I capture the date and current user and use a post function to save them to custom fields 'Resolution Date' and 'Resolved By' for easy reference that only appear on the view screen.

Ahh, so that screen can be separate.  Now I understand a little better.  Is "comment" a custom field?  I do not see that in my list of fields.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 19, 2016

You're nearly there.  There is a fourth place to use screens in JIRA - in the workflow.

You need your "resolve issue" screen to be used on any transitions that go from an "open" type status to a closed type (e.g. the resolve or close transitions).  Then, I'd strongly recommend a post-function for "set resolution to none" on transitions going from closed to open

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 19, 2016

The comment field is added automatically by JIRA on all transition screens

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 19, 2016

Although it won't appear if the user does not have "comment on issues" permission.

0 votes
Chander Inguva
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 19, 2016

Hi Will,

What transition screen are you using on Open to In Progress transition ?

• If its Resolve Issue Screen, resolution is mandatory as it ships with JIRA. 
  • If you do not want that, you can copy Resolve Issue Screen and remove Resolution field from that.

Regards

Chander

I am using the Edit Item screen.

What is the Resolve Issue screen?  I thought there were only 3 screens: Create Issue, Edit Issue, and View Issue

Chander Inguva
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 19, 2016

Resolve Issue screen is a Transition Screen only seen on workflow transitions if you have added one

Suggest an answer