why does JIRA keep asking me for my password

1 answer

0 votes

If it's when you go into admin mode, it wants additional authentication for elevated rights.

If you've run into the problem that it keeps asking you while you use it normally (i.e. every couple of minutes), then there's something wrong with your browser - it's not keeping the authenticated session information properly so JIRA can't tell that you are logged in.  Test it with another browser (or incognito mode) and/or another machine, and try clearing the cache and cookies and restart the browser.

The problem is only for the admin mode.  It works with incognito mode.  Haven't tested with other browsers.  Should I clear browser history eventually...?

Definitely worth a try. The fact icognito mode works ok strongly suggest it's a cookie or session problem in the browser cache (incognito modes pretty work the same, but store their caches separately and destroy them when the window is closed)

If it is only for admin mode this is a normal behaviour. After 10 min. of inactivity the admin session is timed out. See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Secure+Administrator+Sessions

Good point, I was assuming it's happening every time he tries to navigate (which does happen when the browser has got a dodgy cache)

Since the question isn't very detailed, many things could be assumed ;-)

It is not a timeout problem, when you are in admin mode every time you click an option Jira ask you for the admin password even if you did it few seconds ago.

Like 1 person likes this

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 27, 2018 in Portfolio for Jira

Introducing a new planning experience in Portfolio for Jira (Server/DC)

In the past, Portfolio for Jira required a high degree of detail–foresight that was unrealistic for many businesses to   have–in   order to produce a reliable long-term roadmap. We're tur...

2,774 views 18 21
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you