Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

why did you stop specific tools for import

why in the world would you stop users from using import tools to pull data in? that is counter productive

2 answers

0 votes

Jira Server used to have a whole swathe of importers (Redmine, Trac, Rally - from memory there was a time when there were around 15, I can't remember which version it peaked in 5.1 maybe?).  But a while ago, I asked the same question and the answer was "maintaining them all was becoming a pain"

Atlassian started to wind them down, concentrating on the CSV importer alone and then the Cloud migration stuff.   I think a couple were published open-source, and some others given to people volunteering to maintain them, but as the intended use of an importer is to replace your old imported system with Jira, there's not a lot of commercial sense in keeping them going - any user who wants to do that would do an evaluation run, make it all work, do their export and throw the licence away.

If you wanted to do such a migration, it might actually be worth downloading an older copy of Jira server, using it to do your import (bearing in mind that it may not work if the source system has changed shape since then), upgrade the Jira to latest, and merge it into your Cloud system

Jack Brickey Community Leader Apr 27, 2022

Yes I recall those days.

0 votes
Jack Brickey Community Leader Apr 27, 2022

Hi @Eric Henderson , welcome to the community.

I'm not sure exactly which tools you're speaking of but indeed I ran across this issue myself. Ultimately I think that Atlassian is focusing on the tools for migrating users from server to data center or cloud. In any event we're really relegated to use CSV unfortunately. It certainly works but it can be rather tedious depending on the project import. It might be worth your time to click the Feedback link within the app and share your thoughts with Atlassian. Finally, there are migration partners out there that have tools for doing this on your behalf might check the marketplace for that.

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you