why are there active and future sprints for the same sprint

Nicola Barton April 28, 2015

I'm pretty new to JIRA and am using Agile. I'm getting a confusing range of options available when I try to add an issue to an epic.  In the image shown below, there three 'Sprint 1' options, along with Sprint 2 and 4 showing as active. There are only 2 sprints in this project so it doesn't make sense to me. Is this a bug, or am I misunderstanding something.

Screen Shot 2015-04-28 at 20.21.54.png

3 answers

0 votes
Melanie Arabsky Ledger August 11, 2015

I am just getting started with agile in Jira, and I have an active sprint (Sprint 1) and future Sprints (2,3, etc.)

When creating new JIRA items, I found I could assign them to Sprint 1 (active), Sprint 1 (future), Sprint 2 (future), Sprint 3 (future)..... don't know why it has a "future" version of Sprint 1, and its annoying/distracting to have in the list.

As a workaround, I assigned a task to it, then when to the my board where it showed a new Sprint 1 that wasn't started, below the tasks already in the Sprint 1 which was active. I moved the task from the "not started" Sprint 1 to the "active" Sprint 1, which left me with an empty Sprint 1 (not started) on my board. I deleted the Sprint using the board functionality, and now when I add a new task, I am no longer presented with Sprint 1 (future), just the active Sprint 1. Yay!

Don't know why I need to do this, but it seems to work. Maybe Sprint 1 (future) is designed for things you are thinking of adding the current active sprint but haven't committed to doing so yet. Don't know. But this is the only way I could find to delete if you its unneeded and distracting.

0 votes
Luciano Fagundes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 29, 2015

Nicola,

Please take a look on the the board filter used. If it's using multiple projects on that filter, it will display all sprints belonging to those projects accordignly. To have this resolved, limit the board filter to use just one single project.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Configuring+Filters

L.F

0 votes
Nicola Barton April 28, 2015

Having played around, it seems that the system shows all sprints across all projects. I want to be able to restrict adding sprints to only the ones associates with that project. Does anyone know a way?

Suggest an answer