which version of jira is stable in market right now?

Surender Reddy November 9, 2018

Hi All,

May i know the most stable version of JIRA Software (Server) we have in market now ?

We are planning to Upgrade from JIRA 7.3.3  and wish we Upgrade to the one which was more tested and affected with less Bugs.

I appreciate all your opinions and suggestions.

I have options of 7.12.3 or 7.11.0 or 7.6.9?

20 answers

1 vote
Sloan N_ B_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 9, 2018

The next enterprise Release will come in 2019. Enterprise Releases get support for two years.

If you can't wait, follow the suggestions given by the fellow Community members here. :)

1 vote
Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 9, 2018

We upgrade in order to take advantage of performance improvements and bug fixes. We are on a quarterly schedule so we upgrade 4 times a year.  Sometimes there is new functionality that is nice too.  We had no issues on 7.10.x.

As far as prep, you should test the upgrade on a stage/dev/test server first.  Beyond this, you should always have a backup of your server and DB before you proceed.

1 vote
Gundlupet Sreenidhi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 9, 2018

The latest version of JIRA is 7.12.3. You can get it from here

I am running 7.12.2 without any problems.

1 vote
Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 9, 2018

We're running 7.12.1 and things seem pretty good.  You're usually safe to grab anything that isn't the most recent or a x.0.  

0 votes
Rodrigo Cortez
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 26, 2019

As of now, Jira 7.13.5 is the version to go.  Soon, however, 8.5 will be released. Stay tuned !

Please refer to @Jessica Seitz post Upcoming Enterprise releases targeting Q3 2019: Jira Software 8.5 & Jira Service Desk 4.5 for more details.

0 votes
Cristian Rosas [Tecnofor]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 14, 2018

If your priority is stability go to enterprise release 7.6, but I'd check the new features in the the releases notes for 7.7, 7.8, 7.9, 7.10, 7.11 and 7.12. There are some interesting features that could make you change your mind

0 votes

k good one sir.

0 votes

7.6.x released in Jan 2018 is it a good idea to upgrade on it and also end of life also in nov 2019 ,

0 votes

is this for different server upgradtion  but we are planning to upgrade in same server and we have a clone of dev env for first upgradation to test.

0 votes
Gundlupet Sreenidhi
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 9, 2018

Here are the steps we usually follow: 

1. Back existing JIRA instance (in JIRA, Administration, Backup and Restore)
  2. Stop existing JIRA
  3. Create new DB instance for new JIRA
  4. Install new JIRA
  5. Create new home directory for new JIRA
  6. Configure new JIRA to point to correct (new) JIRA home directory
  7. Configure the server.xml, logging properties, etc.. for new JIRA
  8. Start new JIRA
  9. Configure new JIRA to work with new DB
  10. install your plugins (also the latest compatible versions)
  11. install all licenses
  12. Restore data from old JIRA. (In JIRA, Administration, Backup and Restore) All plugins must be installed before you attempt a restore.
  13. Modify/Update your workflows if required - usually if you have custom code with Scriptrunner.
  14. Validate all data is available in the new JIRA.

Fall back process:

1. Stop new JIRA
  2. Start old JIRA.

We usually have the new database created and ready before we start the upgrade process. We have about 2 hour downtime for installation, setup and validation.

0 votes
Sloan N_ B_
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 9, 2018

If you want the most stable and supported Jira release go with the current Atlassian Enterprise release. I recommend reading the page I linked. It explains what Enterprise Releases mean exactly.

Every Year Atlassian determines a New enterprise Release.

Cheers
Niklas

0 votes

thank you for your reply helps me a lot any suggestions for organisation upgrade before starting . like backup or server space or downtime ,

0 votes
Gundlupet Sreenidhi
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 9, 2018

If you are upgrading from different major versions (i.e: JIRA 6.x to JIRA 7.x), then you will have issues. 
In such case - you need to go from 6.x to 7.0 and then to 7.12
If you are going from 7.x to 7.12, you should not face any issues. follow the upgrade steps and you should be all good.

Look here for the info on Upgrading JIRA.

0 votes

but 7.6 is enterprise release ,i think its first enterprise release but you shifted from 7.6 is there any problem with it . and also 7.10.x for few months any issues with it .please help me. 

0 votes

did you face any issue in post upgradation process. like everyone says there will be some after upgradation mostly. if you have any i think it will not be that soomth.

0 votes
Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 9, 2018

I'd try going straight to 7.12.x in a stage environment.

0 votes
Gundlupet Sreenidhi
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 9, 2018

We went from 7.4 to 7.12

0 votes
Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 9, 2018

i think we upgraded from from 7.6.x to 7.10.x and then 7.12.x a few months later

0 votes

from which version you upgraded to 7.12.3

0 votes

from which version you upgraded to 7.12.1

Suggest an answer