when story is moved to cancelled, cancel all open subtasks

CK December 5, 2022

I have a created a Jira Automation rule to achieve  when story is moved to cancelled, cancel all open subtasks. However, i am facing 2 challenges:

1. Out of 'N' Sub-tasks tagged to a story if atleast 1 of them is in done state ,when i move my parent story to cancelled all sub-tasks attached move to cancelled but not the one which is already in DONE state 

2. When i move back my story from cancelled to other transition state then the sub-tasks are still in cancelled state as rule was applied earlier.

5 answers

5 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 5, 2022

Hi @CK 

You need to check if your workflow has a route from Done to Cancelled in order for the automation to process those sub-tasks.

When you move a Story out of Cancelled , you will need to create the automations necessary to process the sub-tasks back to a desired state.

0 votes
Answer accepted
CK December 15, 2022

Thanks everyone. This solution is perfect but our org doesnt allow to change the workflow so we kind of deferred this request

0 votes
Answer accepted
CK December 5, 2022

Unfortunately our org is not allowing any work flow changes only for respective project. This automation iam enabling only for 1 project out of 100s 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Vedant Kulkarni
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2022

@CK is it possible to share a snapshot of the rule configuration?

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 5, 2022

Hi @CK 

Are you saying these two challenges are what is currently happening or what you want to have happen?

CK December 5, 2022

These 2 challeneges currently happening. How to overcome this ?

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 5, 2022

Can you please share a screenshot of your rule as it stands today?

Mathias Richter
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 5, 2022

@CK - Just as a remark: You've to make sure that the workflow supports the transitions you configured. If it is not possible to transition from DONE to cancelled in the workflow, the automation can also not perform this change.  

Like Mark Segall likes this

Suggest an answer