when i edit any field in a sub-task, the resolution of the subtask becomes 'fixed'.

LakshmiS June 22, 2015

I created a sub-task. Then I edited it to change the original time estimate of the sub-task. But this automatically changes the resolution of the status to 'fixed'. Why?

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 22, 2015

You (or one of the other admins) have added the "resolution" field to the "Edit" screen for that issue type.

Remove it immediately, it's setting the resolution on every issue you edit.

The resolution field should only be added to transition screens, never edit or create (well, ok, there is one case, but generally, no, never)

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 22, 2015

You gotta cut these issues off at the head! Bam!

0 votes
LakshmiS June 22, 2015

Thanks Nic You are right. It was included in the Edit screen which I removed. 

You have mentioned that there is one case where it should be added to Edit - can you please explain that case?

Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 22, 2015

There is a use for having it on "Create" sometimes, but not "edit". There are situations where you create issues for certain processes, where you actually need the resolution set initially. Not many, and it's usually for "retrospective" data where you are logging something that's happened and been dealt with for clarity of history.

Andre Lehmann
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 22, 2015

Also if you make an csv-import and forgot the resolution-column or other admins edited the worklfow and forgot the resolution field in some transition screens. But Nic is right. Normaly you shouldn't be able to edit the resolution :-)

Suggest an answer