when creating a workflow the open step is added automatically. how does jira know how to add this step?

Flavius Nopcea August 16, 2012

I noticed that even if I rename the status open to something else this step is automatically added.

is there a flag for this status to be used in workflows? What happens if I delete this status?

Thank you

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Flavius Nopcea August 17, 2012

thanks for the info, but one question still remains. how does jira know to choose the open status if everything in dynamic in creating the first step?

why not resolved or closed? is it hardcoded? i changed the name of the 'open' status to open2 and when creating a workflow this new status name is directly linked to the first step.

I do not know by what logic this happens. can you help me?

thank you

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2012

I don't quite understand the question here.

When you create a new workflow, Jira creates it with a single step, status open, and the "create" transition. That's a simple default. It would be silly to create a default step for "create" that is resolved or closed - the whole point of creating an issue is that you want it in some kind of "open" step.

The "status" is a label that you put on a step to give us humans something to read. I don't know exactly how, but Jira's "create new workflow" simply picks up the first available status. (I suspect it's hard coded to use "status id = 1"). It doesn't care what you've called the status.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 17, 2012

It's because it's a LOT more simple to create a default step to pin the mandatory "create" transition on - if you're creating a new workflow without it, it's a right pain in the neck. Far nicer to have the minumum stuff there by default, even if you're going to hack it later.

I've not actually tried deleting "open", but you won't be able to until ALL of your workflows have stopped using it. I suspect you won't be able to though, because the default setup needs it. :-(

There is NO harm in changing it in a workflow so that create lands on a different status though.

Suggest an answer