when I delete an issue from my structure, all linked issue relations disappear

tommer August 21, 2014

I use the almworks structure add on.

I have a structure, including the Issue Links synchronizer.

when I delete an issue from my structure, the Issue Links synchronizer deletes all (underlying) linked issue relations.

how can I prevent that?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Robert Leitch [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2014

Hi Tommer,

Nic's right - the synchronizer is required to delete those links because the relationship is not there any more.

The only way to keep the synchronizer-generated links after deleting the feature from your structure would be to put the feature (copy-paste) with all its children into another structure with an identically configured synchronizer. That would keep your links in place for use elsewhere.

In order to avoid it reappearing in your original structure you may need to tweak the synchronizers to exclude it.

Cheers,

Robert

tommer August 21, 2014

another structure? is that what users do, when, after a while, more and more issues are finished and closed and become less interesting and are clogging the view in the structure?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 21, 2014

Because that's the only way you can do this. If you're deleting the feature, there's nowhere for the links to go. If you want to keep the links, you need a copy of the feature to hang them on.

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2014

Different users have different ways of organising their issues in Structure.

If your view is getting clogged with closed issues, try the Unresolved issues filter in the Structure toolbar.

If you want a structure that contains only unresolved issues (without the need for filtering) you could set up another structure with a Filter Synchronizer to pull in unresolved issues from the first one (using S-JQL), and a Links Synchronizer to recreate the hierarchy for you.

There are many ways to achieve that end; it all depends on what exactly you want your 'low fat' structure to contain.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 21, 2014

If you delete an issue, then the links have nowhere to hook into, so they have to be removed as well. I think it's behaving correctly here. But I think I may have misunderstood the question - could you explain what you expect to happen to the links if you delete one of the end points?

tommer August 21, 2014

hi Nic,

I am not sad about losing the link, which caused the issue to be added to the structure. I am sad about losing the other links, the issue might have.

example :

my structure contains 3 improvements (thanks to the filter synchronizer). each improvement has an issue link with some features. these features have also been added to the structure, thanks to the Issue Links synchronizer. some of these features have an issue link with stories. these stories have also been added to the structure, thanks to the Issue Links synchronizer.

Now, when I delete a feature from my structure, I understand that the Issue Links synchronizer removes the issue link between the improvement and the feature, but the Issue Links synchronizer ALSO removes the issue links between the feature and the stories....

how can I prevent that?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 21, 2014

But that's the point - you're removing the feature, so the link between the feature and the story has to be removed.

tommer August 21, 2014

but the feature still exists in jira, so the links with the stories are still useful

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 21, 2014

Eh? You've said you are deleting the feature. So it doesn't exist.

tommer August 21, 2014

Nic, deleting an issue from a structure does NOT delete the issue from jira.

Rising Star
Rising Star
August 21, 2014

What Nic means is that it doesn't exist in the structure, hence the synchronizer (on that structure) should remove the link because the relationship is no longer represented there.

0 votes
tommer August 21, 2014

thanks, Robert, for all your possible solutions. I choose not to delete closed issues from my structure, because I want to keep the other links. I also choose not to have my structure only show unresolved issues, because I want to track progress of stories. I might introduce a second structure, as an archive.

Rising Star
Rising Star
August 21, 2014

Glad to help!

Suggest an answer