what things can you do in the sql area of jira

Chag
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2014

I have seen certain questions about sql queries in JIRA but, I was wondering what kind of things you can get thatJQL doesn't provide? Is thereextra info? I'm missing something?

2 answers

0 votes
Pablo Beltran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 19, 2015

Furthermore the differences mentioned by Udo, I would add one more: 

SQL is standard while JQL is proprietary. It means that there are a lot of tools supporting SQL whereas JQL is restricted to JIRA. 

Fortunately, there is an add-on (SQL for JIRA) which brings all the power of JQL to SQL. Therefore users can take all the benefits of SQL and JQL working together.

0 votes
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2014

JQL will give you always a list of issues - and only that. With SQL you can do more, aggregations, search for other things (Users, Projects, ...), etc.

See here for useful examples:https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA041/Example+SQL+queries+for+JIRA

Suggest an answer