what should be the best approach to upgrade JIRA 6.2 Ver to JIRA 7.3.0 Ver

pallavi somani May 4, 2017

Hi Team ,

The story is , Currently we are using JIRA 6.2 version (with MySQL database), and we want to get new version 7.3.0 in a totally new "Production Application Server" with a new database "MSSQL 20.12". and .

So please do tell us best Approach.

And also please clear our doupt whether we can directly install JIRA 7.3.0 with the older MySQL database copied over to MSSQL database?

Do we need to first install 7.0.0 then move to 7.3.0 in the totally new enviroment.

4 answers

0 votes
Rupa Jain September 5, 2018

Hi Pallavi,

Which option worked for you the best and how long did it take.

Thanks,

Rupa

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2017

No, 6.2 to 7.3 is not going to work, it's too large a jump around a major upgrade.

There are three upgrade routes I might look at

1. 6.2 -> 7.0 -> 7.3
  2. 6.2 -> 6.4 -> 7.3
  3. 6.2 -> 6.4 -> 7.0 -> 7.3

If your installation is simple and has few or no add-ons, there is a good change route 1 will work.  If testing that shows any problem at all, I would not bother trying to fix them, as it won't be worth it.  It will be easier to take your 6.2 to 6.4.

After you're on 6.4, there is a good chance going to 7.3 will work fine.  If that does have any problems, then you'll need to fall back to the officially recommended route, which is line 3.

Rupa Jain September 5, 2018

Hi Nick,

Is it possible to bring over the data from 6.2 to 7.3 in case of different machine?

Thanks,

Rupa

0 votes
Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2017

Hi Pallavi

Or you can try this path:- 6.3.15 -> 6.4.14 -> 7.2.4 ->7.3.0.

Please note you would need to upgrade plugins as well in each step. 

You can refer this sucess story as well. 

Thanks, Vishnu. 

0 votes
Maarten Cautreels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2017

Hi Pallavi, 

I don't have any experience with neither myself but I did find some information online. 

I would start by migrating your current environment to the new database technology. There are guides available on Confluence that should help you: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/switching-databases-802592192.html

After you've done that you should upgrade to 7.0.x first after which you can upgrade to 7.3.x. All the details and steps to take for your setup can be found here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/migration/jira-7?tab:product=1&tab:platform=1

Best, 

Maarten

Suggest an answer