what's the difference in epic vs parent?

Laurie Childers September 22, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Working with epics

When I create an issue, I have both an Epic Link field and a Parent Link field.  What's the difference and how do you know which one to use?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 22, 2016

I'm not sure where the "parent link" might be coming from.  Could you explain that one a little more? 

However, it does sound like it's a simple link to another issue, one that defines some simple relationship between two issues (e.g AB-123 blocks CD-456).  Epics are a bit more functional than simple links, as the Epics gather data about everything held in them and appear on boards so things can be added to them easily, and so-on.

Laurie Childers September 23, 2016

Thanks Nic,

The Parent Link shows up on the Create Issues screens for bugs and stories.  I've taken a few screenshots and attached.  From what I can see, it appears Parent Link was generated by JIRA as per the last screenshot. Does that help explain it more?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 23, 2016

Yep, that makes sense, I wanted to check which add-on was providing the parent-link field before I talked about it.

This parent link is from your installation of Portfolio, and it's for creating the hierarchies for Portfolio.

Laurie Childers September 26, 2016

Thanks Nic, I'll go check into the Portfolio documentation.

Suggest an answer