what kind of fields to use ?

Chag
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2014

what fields do you guys use to get information from customer request or change requests? i'm trying to figure out what type of information i need. I have put a field with a list of projects they can pick, completion date, company name etc.

2 answers

1 vote
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2014

This is very vague question. Isn't this something which completely depends on your project usecase and customers? In general text fields are a bad idea if there are reporting requirements based on that field

Chag
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2014

Renjith,

i'm trying to see what everyone uses as we are creating a project and we are gathering ideas. I wanted to see what everyone has used and see if that helps.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 11, 2014

I'm afraid Renjith is right - Jira is immensely flexible and the answer really is "what do YOU want to do?" I approach this with my stock set of "how do I use Jira" tips. First, talk to your users. Second, think of the question "What do you want to report on"? Your reports and what your users want to get OUT should drive your choice of fields. But we can't tell you what your users want or need - we need to talk to them to find out!

Jose M.
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2014

Yes, Jira is flexible, but not everything is fine. And why not learn from each other. I think, this is also the intention of "answers".

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 11, 2014

The whole point Renjith is making, and I'm supporting, is that there is not a lot to learn. How I do CRs for one client is wildly different from how I do it for another. And both of those methods are probably bad, if not utterly useless, for you and John. There's little value in sharing them because they are unlikely to be useful. The best answer for this really really is "work out what works for your teams and do that". I'm currently sitting in an Atlassian talk about something very similar, and they're telling us how some of the latest features for the Atlassian products have been built with exactly that in mind. Look at your own usage, don't try to do what other people do because it probably isn't the best way to do it yourself.

Charles Wells
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2014

Again, to reiterate Renjith and Nic, you're actually dealing with at least two separate processes so the fields needed may be entirely different. Coming from an ITIL background, to me a customer request implies a need for information while a change requests deals with mitigating risks to production while changing configurations. I'd recommend, reviewing the processes being used and, as stated, meet with your stakeholders to determine what fields are needed for the issue types in question.

Chag
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 12, 2014

well the main point was to gather ideas. Does not matter how the processes are done or anything like that. The stakeholders do not what they want at the moment and i just figure out i could get information or ideas from the community that is the whole point of having this place. If it works or not that is for us to decide and that is why i wanted to see what different ppl did.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 13, 2014

But that's the difficulty as well. I mean - does your business process involve penguins? If it does, then I'd suggest thinking about a select list for their species (17 options if memory serves), and a text field for describing each individual. If it's cars, have a look at components, a swathe of select lists and probably several text fields. I can still absolutely guarantee you that other people's data is of little use to you. Your whole question really really is "think for yourself, analyse what your processes are, ask your users what they need, think about reporting, etc".

0 votes
Jose M.
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2014

If you know, what kind of Information you need to have in Jira, you can evaluate which fields and field types you should use for that. There is a lot to consider, as already answered. In some cases, regarding Text Fields, I found it very useful to use the "Wiki Style Renderer". This can be defined in the Field Configuration.

Jose M.
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2014

In addition: The Wiki Style Renderer is useful for hyperlinks, lists and a lot more. But if you need plain text, you shouldn't use it.

Chag
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2014

thank you this is the type of information i was looking for.

Suggest an answer