Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

what happens to blocked issues when you close a sprint?

Hello, we recently discovered that when we close a sprint, issues that are in the "blocked" state don't get moved to the new sprint or the backlog (whichever option was selected). It seems like they stay in the old, closed sprint so they are no longer visible in our backlog. Is there a way to have them move to the next sprint along with the other "to do" or "in progress" issues?

2 answers

Hi @Amanda Cochilla could you share more information? Or Screenshots? Firstly, I would check if resolution is blank on Blocked issues....

Hi Martin, Thanks. Let me add some more context. In our workflow, blocked issues are "in progress" so they don't have a resolution. Here's the workflow, blocked is a Blue "in progress" status:

image.png

Here's the timeline for the specific story I'm looking at now:

• 6/7 the story was added to a future sprint (sprint 5)
  • 6/8 the story was moved to "blocked" status
  • 6/10 sprint 5 started, the story is in sprint 5 and visible as blocked
  • 6/24 sprint 5 closed, sprint 6 started
  • Today, the story is still in sprint 5 and NOT in sprint 6, so it's not visible in the backlog or the current sprint any longer. We were able to find it and manually add sprint 6 to the story to make it visible again. 

Ideally, I'd like blocked stories to move to the next sprint automatically along with all the other "in progress" or "to do" stories. Is that possible?

Could you send me the screenshot of the story (detail view of the story) which is blocked and not moved to next sprint, please?

sorry, I can't share screenshots of the exact story. What I see in the history:

- "blocked" story stays in the current sprint when the sprint is closed

- other "in progress" stories move from the current sprint to the next one when the sprint is closed

0 votes
Karalee Kikiros Community Leader Jun 25, 2021

Hmm strange. Is the blocked status mapped to a board column?

yes, blocked issues are mapped to a board column. 

image.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you