what does the service activityProviderMonitor do?

Chong Ming Wang March 14, 2013

1.if I can stop or delete this service:

com.atlassian.streams.internal.ActivityProviderConnectionMonitorImpl

and

2.and if I disable the plugin below, what will it cause?

JIRA Active Objects SPI implementation

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 14, 2013

1. Activity streams will stop working, and possibly more

2. Things using Active Objects will stop working, including Greenhopper.

These services are running for good reasons, I wouldn't touch them.

thanks for your immediate answer.

actually,I want to user Jira+DB2, as you know, jira does not support DB2 after V4.*.

I find Active Objects is not support DB2,so i stop these service and plugin ,at lease up to this time, it does not show any error in the log. but i am not sure which problem/error will occur.

if the Activity streams stops, what will it cause? thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 14, 2013

The activity streams are reports on user and project activity. You will get errors when you land on screens containing them. The nicest error will be simple "no data here" type stuff, but you may get uglier ones. I think you'll find IM integrations will fail as well, and possibly other user activity related stuff.

If DB2 does not work for Active Objects, then you need to move to a database that does. Active Objects are used mostly by add-ons, but their use in the core of Jira is increasing, and you need them to work if you're going to use more recent versions of Jira.

As an aside, what makes you think DB2 doesn't work for Active Objects? They're not much more than tables in the database, like the rest of Jira.

Chong Ming Wang March 16, 2013

I downloaded the source code, Active Objects is not realized for DB2.

actually, we don't use the jira UI, just customized the jira api in the old version.

and it seems the active object is no use to our project.

but i don't know if other big risks exist.

Suggest an answer