what API provided jira ?

sofien ben hammadi February 3, 2013

API Jira pleaaaaase

2 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2013

Your question is nonsense. Please rephrase it, and put in a bit more detail.

I want to know the API used to create jira ??

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2013

I'm afraid that still doesn't make any sense. I imagine many APIs were used to create Jira, some in the IDEs, some in the build tools, some in the test tools, and some were included within it. The application then has it's own APIs for various reasons.

What are you trying to do? And what API are you looking for?

The question "what API" is of no help - APIs, by their definition, are a way to talk to an existing system. You have to put your question in context so we know what system you are asking about.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2013

From where? Just to emphasize what Nic said, you have to explain in detail what you are trying to do and and from where you want to create Jira issue.

If we give answers like the ones below, will it help you? (it's the same when you ask a questions without giving us the details)

• REST
  • SOAP
  • Jelly
  • CLI
  • wget
  • Java

I'm developing an application that is based on Jira ie I will use the jira source code by adding additional classes to create a web application pointing and tracking projects ,That is why I want to know the basic API used to start my project

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 3, 2013

Right, so you want Jira's API, not the APIs used to write it, or the APIs it exposes to the outside world for interfaces.

Have a look at http://docs.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/api/latest/

Sorry ,

I used the basic API to provide jira?? for example, the basic API to create a GUI in Java is Swing or SWT or AWT ...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 3, 2013

So why didn't you say that instead of saying you wanted to develop on top of Jira?

As I said before, it's built on top of several libraries, but they're all pretty standard and you'll call them when you need them. It's pointless looking at Swing though - Jira has no gui in that sense, because it's a web-application.

Rather than trying to ask what it's built on, you really should concentrate on what you need it to do instead. If you're expanding/extending Jira, it's own API is far more useful because it's designed for the data within Jira. If you run into stuff that's in standard libraries, you'll find that Jira uses them in standard ways and if you need to extend them, you'll need to do it in the context in which you need to make the change. If you find Jira can't help you do something, then you'll need to add the most appropriate library for yourself.

api provides basic jira and can used to add additional functionality to JIRA's REST API

Thnx :)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 3, 2013

Oh good grief.

The REST API is one of the external APIs that Jira provides. That's not what you asked before.

Do you actually have any form of sensible question here at all?

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2013

Nic, relax, take two deep breaths :)

Hey Sofien, can you spend some time, write a detailed explaination of what you are trying to achieve? We can think about the way to achieve it later. To be precise, this exact line in Nic's comment "Rather than trying to ask what it's built on, you really should concentrate on what you need it to do instead."

We are all here to help you, provided you can get us a detailed writeup on what you are trying to achieve.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 4, 2013

I'm calm again, vented enough in that comment ;-)

Suggest an answer