webhook sends empty POST

Vladimir Horev _Raley_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 18, 2015

Hello,

I'm facing a problem with a webhook deployed via add-on json descriptor. I need to receive notifications when JIRA issue is being updated.

I use the following command to start local JIRA:

atlas-run-standalone --product jira --version 7.0.0-OD-01-193 --bundled-plugins com.atlassian.bundles:json-schema-validator-atlassian-bundle:1.0.4,com.atlassian.webhooks:atlassian-webhooks-plugin:2.0.0,com.atlassian.jwt:jwt-plugin:1.2.2,com.atlassian.upm:atlassian-universal-plugin-manager-plugin:2.19.1.2-D20150723T232127,com.atlassian.plugins:atlassian-connect-plugin:1.1.44 --jvmargs -Datlassian.upm.on.demand=true 

If I use the following format:

"webhooks": [
     {     
           "event": "jira:issue_updated",
           "url": "/jiranotifier.rest"
     }
]

Then the request sent to my add-on has empty POST data and 2 fields in query string user_id and admin.

Adding "params" parameter as described on https://developer.atlassian.com/static/connect/docs/1.1.33/modules/common/webhook.html like this:

{     
           "url": "/jiranotifier.rest",

"params": {

"issue": "${issue.key}"

}

}
]

doesn't help. The POST data is still empty.

If I try to do something like this:

{     
           "url": "/jiranotifier.rest?issue=${issue.key}"
     }
]

Then I get exception during deployment of the plugin and the root cause is that the url is not validated as correct URI because of $ sign. If I omit dollar sign, then it complaints about the { sign.

I tried to configure Webhooks in JIRA administration console, and the following syntax was OK:

/jiranotifier.rest?issue=${issue.key}

However, with that approach, the JWT token was not transmitted.

So, how can I describe my add-on in json descriptor so that I'd get key of the JIRA issue that is beeing changed?

Thanks,

Vladimir

2 answers

2 votes
Vladimir Horev _Raley_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 20, 2015

Well, I don't fully understand why it works, but I managed to solve it this way in Spring @Controller class:

HttpServletRequest request ...

String requestContent = IOUtils.toString(request.getInputStream(), "UTF-8");
JSONObject jo =  return new JSONObject(requestContent);

The populated jo object contained all the data that I expected to be POST-ed

Perhaps, JIRA was making a different type of request, not POST or GET...

Vladimir

0 votes
Robert Massaioli _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 19, 2015

Have you tried using the Webhook inspector to see what is happening? https://bitbucket.org/atlassianlabs/webhook-inspector

Suggest an answer