view only permission for projects/boards

Edward Geddes April 4, 2013

I have business-side users requesting view-only access to development projects. We want them to be able to view the boards, see where issues are in the workflow, etc. but not be able to edit issues, change status, etc.

If I give them the browse projects permissions, they can change issue status (which we do not want).

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2013

Depending on the number of workflows you use (and the number of transitions in them), a possible solution would be to ensure all the transitions have conditions or validators that only allow users that you dictate to have the ability to use those transitions.

Edward Geddes April 9, 2013

Thanks Natalie. Based on your suggestion and looking at transitions, it seems I can do this via a condition that limits execution of the transition based on the user's group or role which is exactly what I was looking for. Too bad JIRA just doesn't have a "look but don't touch" permission that would make all of this unnecessary!

Thanks!

Eddie

Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 9, 2013

You're welcome! I did find this issue, you could vote on it - but it's been around since 2006 so it looks like it's not going to be addressed anytime soon. :\

Corey_Tabb October 4, 2019

Atlassian will never add it they never add any feature that is requested by its customer they are still missing key functionality like ability to export individual projects or even archive projects i am yet to see a feature asked by its customers make it into Jira without having to spend even more money on a plug-in those two I mentioned have been asked for for 10+ years now and they haven't even looked into it the archive project feature exists in two of their 3 version of Jira if you own cloud you can't archive project they suggest to delete it (i don't know why a huge company like this suggests to DELETE DATA  no one deletes data when you want it archived it's for a reason like you need to keep certain parts of information for X years i was shocked for Atlassian to tell me to delete the data is the only way i can do what i wanted to do 

Like Pujanito likes this

Suggest an answer