users can't close Jira issues

David Gurevich August 20, 2014

Using standard Jira workflow, users can't close issues.

7 answers

0 votes
Deleted user August 7, 2019

In my case, I had a transition between statuses defined in workflow and I could not use it, because the change to the workflow has not been published. The workflow in administration shows that you are working on a draft.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 11, 2015

>The project I created was new so no rights were removed from the permissions. The default permissions scheme says "Grant transition rights to Role: Users". You might not have removed or changed permission schemes while creating this project, but someone probably has changed the schemes in the past. Or, on the other hand, if you're using groups instead of roles, it might be that you didn't notice that the defaults are all set up to work with roles. This is one minor reason for sticking with roles. The major reasons are that you can reuse things better - I've seen huge JIRA systems with only 3 permission and notification schemes because roles simplify things vastly for schemes. They allow you to delegate the user maintenance to your project owners so that you don't need 5 administrators hacking around groups and having to create new workflows and schemes *Every* time a group behaviour needs to be changed. As a general rule, I advise everyone to avoid the use of groups in the configuration for anything other than global permissions, reporting and for those odd projects with really odd security requirements. Groups are great for grouping people up... then adding to roles when you don't want to handle individuals.

0 votes
Jaap Lelie November 11, 2015

Hi Nic, Thanks for your response. We are a medium sized software company and use the Projects for web and back-end development. The project I created was new so no rights were removed from the permissions. Why would the use of roles be better instead of using groups? You would still have to assign a group to the roles if I'm right? Thanks!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 11, 2015

In other words, check the permissions! Transition issues is a new permission for JIRA 6.3 I think. It does NOT control "edit" as you suggest here, it just stops people using transitions if they do not match the rule. I'd also recommend using roles over groups in your permission schemes, and I'm a bit worried that one of your administrators removed the right from the permissions!

0 votes
Jaap Lelie November 11, 2015

Hi David, You've requested for help on this a while ago but since I was having the same issue I wanted to post my solution here for others to see. When we noticed that users were unable to close issues, even with the project group assigned to the Close issues permission, We started messing around with the rights in the permission scheme to see if the rights were linked to each other in some way. So in the end we discovered that the group has to be assigned to the 'Transition Issues' permission before the users in the group are able to edit/close issues in the Jira Project. I hope this can help someone out!

0 votes
Fatih Yıldızhan September 30, 2015

You can see the alternative solution from stackoverflow.

check the solution

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 30, 2015

No. That applies when an issue has been broken by a crash, corruption or dodgy code. We have no evidence that that is the case here, the question strongly implies many issues with the default workflow, which really does mean the conditions. Before slinging a pointless "fix" at a problem, you need to know *why* there is a problem, and we don't know what the root cause is yer.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 20, 2014

You need to check the permission scheme to see what groups/roles/dynamic-roles etc have the rights for "close issue" permission, and then check that your users match that role.

Jose M.
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 20, 2014

The permission scheme and the workflow conditions have to be checked and applied.

It makes sense to restrict this permission, because users are not always aware about processes behind an issue and Project Leads might want to keep issues unclosed until the Customer has accepted the Solution.

But sometimes an issue is created by mistake, so it makes sense, to give the reporter the permission to close an issue, if the status is still open (this permission is given in the workflow step)

Suggest an answer