upgrading JIRA from 5.1 - 6.3.8

Gregory Hicks October 24, 2014

I am upgrading JIRA from 5.1 to the newest release and I am getting conflicting answers from JIRA support and what I am reading online. Atlassian support says I can go from 5.1 directly to 6.3.8, what I am reading online JIRA techs are saying i need to update to each release at a time. What should I do here and by each release do I need to install the minor releases as well? 

I have updated stage major release at a time from 5.1 - 5.2 - 6.0 - 6.1 - 6.2 - 6.3. One thing I did notice is that once I upgraded Agile in stage I got a note saying that Agile might not work as well as it could because it's missing updates. This isn't the exact error but I cannot for the life of me find where I saved the error. 

So what should I do here, does each major release have the previous minor releases built in? Should I updated every single minor and major release? 

Let me know.

5 answers

1 vote
Stephen Gurnick
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 24, 2014

Coincidentally - I'm in the process of performing the same upgrade (from JIRA 5.1 to 6.3.7). In my testing I was able to go directly from 5.1 to 6.3.7 without first going to any intermediary versions. 

What you want to make sure to do is read the release notes and upgrade notes for each major version that you're skipping. There aren't many, but there are some important items Atlassian has changed that you need to be aware of. But the upgrade process should take care of most everything for you. 

Also if you've made any customizations to configuration files (e.g. setenv.sh, server.xml, cacerts, etc.) you'll need to restore these after the upgrade is complete. But don't just restore the entire files as the upgrade will most likely change other aspects that you'll want to maintain. Just put your customizations back in the appropriate locations.

Other than that, you should be fine.

0 votes
Benito Picarelli
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 26, 2014

Hi Gregory,

My suggestion would be to check the versions of the plugins that you are currently using to make sure they have appropriate versions for the version you intend to upgrade to beforehand. Also, if you are upgrading production, make sure to test this out in a dev environment to avoid possible problems as well.

0 votes
Stephen Gurnick
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 24, 2014

No we aren't using the SVN add-on.  Getting your add-ons to function in the upgraded version will most likely be the area the causes the greatest headache. I had a few that had some issues and it was a matter of working the vendors to sort things out.

0 votes

This is good to know, thanks for you input on this matter. Were you by any chance using the SVN plugin for JIRA? I just tried to install it and am getting a license error. 

This add-on failed to enable. It may require a license. Refer to the logs for more information.

0 votes

Also does 6.3.8 have all the fixes for 6.3.1 - 6.3.3 - 6.3.4.r2 - 6.3.5 - 6.3.6 - 6.3.7? Or do I need to install each update once I upgrade to 6.3.

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 25, 2014

Releases are accumulative, so you do not need to previous 6.3.x releases unless the upgrade notes states so. That is the reason you must read the upgrade notes.

Suggest an answer