upgrade jira from 4.3 to 5.1

SherryX
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2012

we're going to upgrade jira and also want to keep the old version running at the same time.

I'd like to create a new instance within the same machine but different port to test the upgrade.

We're using the file system to store the attachments (a folder which is outside jira home directory).

My question is - the two instances (one with the old version, the other is the new version), can they be both running at the same time and point to the same attachments directory?

thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 16, 2012

It is possible but I would recommend to have two separate directories. Take a copy of the original.

Otherwise, it can be confusing when the attachment is deleted from one instance and is still referred in the other. Why would you risk hat with production?

SherryX
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2012

thanks, Jobin. I'm going to do it on the test machine, but some users are using the instance as training/testing jira, so I can't always shutdown the old version in business hours. And because the attachments folder is taking huge storage space, so I may not have enough space to do that.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 16, 2012

For testing, that should be fine.

Suggest an answer