upgrade JIRA 4.2 to 5.2

mohanarangan K December 23, 2012

Hi,

I would like to upgrade JIRA 4.2 to 5.2.

let me know the which way will be the best to Upgrade.

1. Upgrade 4.2 to 5.2?

2. Install 5.2 directly and migrate the Database? Is there any dependencies in DB. Provide the information.

Please provide me steps for the upgrade from 4.2 to 5.2.

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Mohan

2 answers

1 vote
Naren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 23, 2012

You can find the detailed documentation for JIRA Upgrade here. Are you planning to change the platform for the latest JIRA i.e., DB, OS, location of attachments and/or indexes with regard to the previous JIRA version, in that case you have to upgrade JIRA Manually. Make sure you go thoroughly thoroughly through the Upgrade Notes. Try the upgrade on your test instance first.

You need to keep a track of following -

1. All the plugins installed in the previous JIRA version and their compatibility w.r.t to the latest JIRA
  2. All the configuration file changes done in previous JIRA version (i.e.,changing any xml, velocity, JSP, etc files) and its compatibility w.r.t latest JIRA version.
  3. Your custom developed plugins and its compatibility w.r.t the latest JIRA version.
  4. Backup your JIRA Home directory and JIRA installation directory before you start upgrading JIRA.

0 votes
Theinvisibleman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 23, 2012

Hi Mohan,

Naren basically summed up most of the things to look out for, but I just wanted to add : If you are migrating your JIRA, you might want to take note that your JIRA attachment files are not in your database, or in any XML backups, rather you would have to transfer the file from your old JIRA Home to your new JIRA Home.

However, if you are using the same JIRA Home after the upgrade, then this would be nothing to worry about

Suggest an answer