updating jira user passwords in bulk

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 15, 2014

Hi

Is it possible to change the password of users in bulk.

We want to change the password for 1200 jira users and doing it manually one by one is going to be very time consuming.

Is there an easy way?

Rahul

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
codelab expert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 15, 2014
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2014

Yup, that works for internal directories, that's why I asked! You can stop Jira, change the passwords with SQL and restart it, and the new password will kick in. But only if it's using internal user directories. The answer changes if you're using something else.

p.s. I'm pretty sure it still works, having done it today...

codelab expert
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 15, 2014

That's right. If he is using Microsoft AD he must fetch all users and set the password. That's done with powershell.

Code snippet:

$FetchedUser.Invoke("SetPassword", "newpassword")
$FetchedUser.pwdLastSet = 0
$FetchedUser.SetInfo()

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2014

Not in the UI.

However, what authentication system are you using?

codelab expert
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 15, 2014

Hi Nic,

it's funny :-)

My hint is an answer from you in 2012.

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 15, 2014

NIc: its jira internal directory...

codelab expert
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 15, 2014

@Rahul: In this case follow the link in my answer. It is leading to the step-by-step tutorial from Nic. It works.

Suggest an answer