update a status in jira from external application Like Remedy

Rita YOUNES [Infosysta]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 23, 2014
hello,
how in JIRA, we can update the Issue Status from an external application (CRM or other): via API? or via Web Services.? we need to connect our existing application "Remedy" with JIRA. Remedy should update JIRA Issue Status (on a certain action in Remedy). And JIRA should update Remedy object Status (on a certain action in JIRA). Remedy is used as a Change Request Management (Request for new features on applications).Any Help ???
Best Regards,
Rita

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 23, 2014

The best way to do Remedy -> Jira is to use Jira's REST API to make changes in Jira.

In the other direction, it used to be a complete nightmare because Remedy simply didn't have any decent way for other applications to update it (At the time I was looking at it, the developers said that if they had something like that, no-one would use Remedy because they'd all write an interface just to avoid having to use it). I'm hoping that's changed and you have a way to do it.

If you can establish how to do remote stuff in Remedy, then you should be able to code simple post-functions or listeners in Jira to update Remedy

Rita YOUNES [Infosysta]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 23, 2014

Hello,

Thank you Nic for your help,i would like to know if u have made it and u have already a development done,because i'm new and i dont't know how to make it ,could u give me more details?

thank you

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 23, 2014

I did it many years ago, with SOAP rather than REST (REST is better, and SOAP is going away) and some unholy bodge to get around the inflexibility of Remedy at the time (although some of it was done by simply sending Jira emails to Remedy). Remedy was classed as a legacy system before we had to do too much though, which I was very grateful for.

Neither would be useful to you at the moment. You'll need to explore what your version of Remedy exposes to allow Jira to update it, and cehck https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/latest/for how to talk to Jira.

Beware of the email though - it can go into a loop if you don't think it through and is open to users using it so they don't have to use Remedy...

Rita YOUNES [Infosysta]
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 23, 2014

my first step consiste of trying to create an issue in jira using REST API or try to get a status,do u know how i can do it ?or more details others than atlassian documentation,i didn't understood how i can make it from JIRA .

thank you

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 23, 2014

The documentation is far better than anything I would write. I've pointed you at the docs you'll need to refer to for most of the calls, but I should have added https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/JIRA+REST+API+Tutorialsas well

Suggest an answer