unresolved subtasks progress bar

r
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 2, 2012

Hi,

i have an issue with 5 subtasks. Only one of them is resovled. The progress bar shows half of them resolved (see screenshot).

Have you encountered this weird counting of unresolved subtask progress bar?

Is there a way how to correct this progress bar?

thanks

Rad

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas Heidenreich
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 2, 2012

It seems, that is a bug introduced with Jira 5. I can remember seeing the correct percentage in green in Jira 4.4, but with 5.0.6 and 5.1.2 there seem to be only the following three states:

• fully grey => no subtasks resolved
  • half green => some subtasks resolved
  • fully green => all subtasks resolved
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 3, 2012

We've always seen it being partially or 3/4 or some percentage green even in 4.4.5.

1 vote
davead75 September 2, 2012

~~~ spam ~~~

0 votes
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 2, 2012

Hi, I don't think the progress bar actually says how many are resolved, but in total where things are at to completion. It is saying out of your 5 subtasks, you are on average 50% complete in terms of getting to the end of the workflow.

I had this confusion before too.

r
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 2, 2012

Hi, thanks for answer but i have to admit that i dont understand it quite well. Could you please develop your answer a little bit more?

Thanks

Rad

Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 2, 2012

Hi, as in it measures your current progress as an average of all the issues to the destination.

E.g. if you had 5 subtasks, and your workflow requires 10 steps to the destination status (Approved in this case). Now if you each of you have 5 subtasks on average still have 5 steps before it reaches the destination, it is considered 5/10 as there are 5 out of 10 steps remaining. I assume it calculates this based on a direct path it can make to the destination.

You can expriment with this as a test. Create a few subtasks - if they are currently just created your progress is 0. As soon as you change the status of a subtask, the progress changes.

At least that's how I've seen this unless an Atlassian developer can expose the proper algorithm. I definitely agree this should be documented somewhere.

Suggest an answer