unable to login to Jira-->resolved by restarting server

Alex Nelson September 4, 2012

No error messages. Login screen simply reverts back to blank login screen.

2 answers

0 votes
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 5, 2012

Hi, are you using Crowd? Can you describe more about your setup? I've had this happen before due to certain plugins not having started properly. I'd definitely check the logs as Nic suggests.

Alex Nelson September 5, 2012

Hi, we're not using Crowd as our corporate standard is ADFS....trying to make it work first.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 4, 2012

If it's resolved by restarting it, could you explain what the problem is?

What do your logs say too?

I already explained what the problem is...we are unable to log into Jira. It seems as though Jira falls asleep and doesn't want top accept any logins.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 5, 2012

Not quite. Read the title of your question - you said you were unable to log in, then it was fixed by restarting it. The body describes the failed logging in, but your title says it's fixed.

Anyway, I assume what you mean is that the restart does NOT solve the problem, and you still cannot log in.

Am I right in assuming that after restart, you visit with a browser and get the login screen ok? Then nothing else? Is there a Jira header at all, or is it really a blank page?

Can you check what html is coming through on the blank screen? Ctrl-U in will open the raw html - doesn't matter too much what it is, but it might be helpful to know if it's a tiny amout or a huge block that might actually be correct.

And, again, what does your log files say?

The restart does solve the problem, but my concern is about why the issue is occuring in the first. place. The screen renders without any noticable html issues and the login screen always shows up fine.

Atlassia-jira.log contains 53,567 lines....I'm not sure where to begin with it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 5, 2012

So what conditions prompt this inability to log in? How often does it happen and lead you to have to restart?

If the screen is rendering without issue, then why are you not able to log in? What does the user see? An anonymous access (no name top right). The "html is ok" kind of contradicts "can't log in"

The log file - look for errors or warnings, especially login ones!

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 5, 2012

@Alex 53k lines is quite small. Look at time of entries / toward the end of the log.

Alex Nelson September 6, 2012

The "conditions" prompting the inablity to login seem to be nothing more than time passing. It's happened twice now...perhaps once a week.

1. I go to the login screen and enter my previously working credentials
  2. It appears to accept the credentials and think for a few seconds
  3. It then returns me to the same login screen without any messages or indications of error or incorrect password.

I see some ldapo errors in the logs...will need to dig into these further yet.

Suggest an answer