unable to edit or change the owner of a dashboard

suha akman May 16, 2017

We ran in to a situation where the owner of a board can not edit the board anymore. During my investigation as an admin I have unsuccessfully tried to change the ownership of the board and have it assigned to me.

First error I get was "The user '<myJiraUserName>' does not have permission to share with Project: '<projName>' Role: 'Developers'.

I had to add myself to the Developers role in the <projName> project in order to bypass this error.

Then I started getting a different error "The user '<myJiraUserName>' does not have permission to share with Group: '<groupName>'."

When I try to assign the same owner. I get the same error for him. "The user '<currentOwner'sJiraUserName>' does not have permission to share with Group: '<groupName>'."

Both me and the current user are in jira-users group which have the Create Shared Objects global permission.

So I have 2 questions:

1) why cant the owner edit his own dashboard?

2) why cant the admin change the ownership of the dashboard to himself in this situation?

We are using Jira v6.3.12 on our server. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

could first question be related to this bug?

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-29701

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2017

>as an admin I have unsuccessfully tried to change the ownership of the board 

Could you explain what happened when you tried to do that?  The errors or behaviours we see there can tell us a lot more about the root problem.

The bug you've found does not affect your version of JIRA, so it's not that.

Two things on this line:

>"The user 'currentOwner' does not have permission to share with Group

1. Does it really say "currentOwner" or does it name your user correctly?
  2. I suspect a big problem though is that you and the board owner are not in GroupX which means you can't share with the group.  You need to be in it to share with it.

suha akman May 16, 2017

Hey Nic thank you for the comment.

When I tired to change the owner as myself, the first error I got was "The user '<myJiraUserName>' does not have permission to share with Project: '<projName>' Role: 'Developers'.

I had to add myself to the Developers role in the <projName> project in order to bypass this error. I dont know why I had to do that??!

Then I started getting a different error "The user '<myJiraUserName>' does not have permission to share with Group: '<groupName>'."

1. it says the user names (mine and the current owner's), project name and group name correctly. I have tried to clearify that in my original post.

2. As a board owner why do I have to be in a group that I share the board with. I can possibly share a board with many groups and individuals. Do the owner has to be in ALL of the groups that he/she shares the board with?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2017

Ok, thanks for the clarifications.

It does seem like the whole of this seems to be down to the simple "you must be in the group or project you are going to share with" rule.

Can you put yourself in the right groups and roles and check that you can now share as you want?

suha akman May 16, 2017

Thanks again Nic.

> It does seem like the whole of this seems to be down to the simple "you must be in the group or project you are going to share with" rule.

could you direct me to the documentation regarding this rule? I cant seem to find it in the following links

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira063/customizing-the-dashboard-683542446.html

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira063/managing-shared-dashboards-683542600.html

If we park the problem with changing the ownership on to me and just focus on the current owner cant edit his own board problem, I have an update.

When I add him in to the "Developers" project role. He is able to edit the dashboard. If he is not in "Developers" role he can not edit the dashboard that he owns... Any explanations regarding this?

suha akman May 16, 2017

ok I figured it out. Its like what you said about the group but its the project role this time. The dashboard that he owns has "Project: <ProjectName> Role: Developers" setup in the share settings. Thats why he has to be in the Developers role...

Thanks alot for the guidance Nic. Really appriciate it.

Still cant find the documentation though :)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 16, 2017

Nor can I, the JIRA 7 docs seem to have lost it (along with a lot of other useful stuff)

0 votes
Krister Persson April 16, 2020

Has there been any improvement here?

Doods Perea April 17, 2020

Hi all - 

Check the user's group membership.  Then in Jira's Global Permissions page, check if any of the user's group has permission to "Share dashboards and filters".

0 votes
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 30, 2017

Suha,

IIRC, the permission can be granted to a role, a group, or an individual user.

Christopher Emerzidis June 27, 2018

I seem to have this same problem however im a global admin and in all of the said groups that the board is shared with.  Any ideas?

suha akman June 28, 2018

Hi Christopher,

Are you trying to change the ownership of a dashboard to yourself?

I suggest that you re-check all the settings below:

1. System > Global Permissions > Create Shared Objects... make sure you are in one of the groups listed here
  2. System > Shared Dashboards. Find the dashboard you want to own. Make sure you are in ALL of the groups and project roles listed in the "Shared With" column
  3. If there are project roles listed in check 2. Go to that project's Project Settings > Permissions. Make sure that role has "Browse Projects" permisson.
Christopher Emerzidis June 28, 2018

Thanks Suha,

I managed to ascertain that even though i was a global admin, and in all the groups, none of these roles had sharing permissions. (quite annoying)

I've now added myself to another group with that permission and it has worked.

Thanks for this

Krister Persson September 27, 2019

this is weird. AS we have an organization and AD connection. It means that I as a system admin of JIRA must be in all different AD groups in order to be allowed to administer dashboards. IT is a no go in further usage of JIRA organization wise.

Suggest an answer