unable to add user to a project role

Shivani Chauhan September 20, 2018

Hi All, 

We're using Active server directory for authentication in JIRA.

When trying to add a user to a project it will give an error "We can't find '<username>' in any accessible user directory. Check they're still active and available, and try again."

The user is active  and can login to  JIRA.

Any tips on where I could look to fix this problem? Let me know if you need more information or details.

1 answer

0 votes
Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2018

Hello @Shivani Chauhan,

There was a similar question:

Can't add user to a project

Though it was not the role but the project I think that the workaround suggested by @Tim Dame may work in your case as well.

Please, try it.

Victor Mutambuki
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2018

shivani,

Going by your title, are you the project admin or an admin in the instance? Project admins can add users to roles.

Seems user can log into JIRA. Are you adding users using groups or as individuals?

Victor

Hi @Grigory Salnikov,

Thank you for answering. we are not allowed to create Jira internal group, only AD group is used in our Jira instance, hence cannot apply the workaround mentioned by @Tim Dam

Hi @Victor Mutambuki [Mumo Systems],

Thank you for answering.

am the JIRA admin.  Project admins are getting the same error while trying to the add the specific user to the project role.

adding user as individuals 

Prasad Andrews October 6, 2019

Hi @Shivani Chauhan  I am also facing the same issue.

I am a JIRA admin and Project Admin as well

When trying to add a user to a project it will give an error "We can't find '<username>' in any accessible user directory. Check they're still active and available, and try again."

have you found any root cause?

Like Nirmani Kalakheti likes this
Priyanka Karguppikar August 29, 2022

Hello Team,

I am continuously getting the below error when I trying to run the above script. Can anybody help me with the solution.

Error[We can't find 'priyanka' in any accessible user directory. Check they're still active and available, and try again.]

Dominic Giroux October 20, 2022

Did you find a solution?  Getting the same error... on 8.20.10

Joachim Brechtel November 10, 2022

I had this error using the Java api to add users (using ProjectRoleService::addActorsToProjectRole)

The solution was to use user keys instead of user names in the first argument of the method. For "old" users the user names might also work, because they were equal to the user key. But some time ago the user key is created using the pattern JIRAUSERxxx.

Then you get the error mentioned above, even though the user exists and is active.

Like NGATDev likes this
NGATDev February 29, 2024

Thank you @Joachim Brechtel

This solved our problem with using ProjectRoleService::addActorsToProjectRole.

As mentioned in the documentation, you need to use the user key and not the username as the actors parameter:

actors - is a list of strings (e.g. user keys or group names) that the RoleActor impl should be able to handle

Suggest an answer