transition in kanban not working

Deleted user October 17, 2016

I have a kanban board with a number of different statuses, I have transitions to all states enabled but the problem as I see it is that the drag and drop functionality of the kanban board doesn't work specifically when I try to move things to a state of 'Parking Lot'. However, I CAN use the buttons when on the edit screen to move to that status so the transition seems OK, just the drag and drop on the board is problematic. I could create another status, reassign all 75 issues to that status and update the kanban column to represent the new status but I'd rather avoid having all those issues modified if there is a simpler fix. Any ideas on this one?

2 answers

0 votes
Deleted user October 17, 2016

Nic - thanks for the question on this! It is the first one in the list within the image. There aren't any other statuses attached to that column so there is no confusion over which status it should go to.

Screen Shot 2016-10-17 at 11.43.17 AM.png

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 17, 2016

What columns have you got on your board, and which one is "parking lot" in?  Are there other status in that column?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 17, 2016

Ok, that makes it really clean and simple!

One nagging doubt (although I can't explain it if it does what I think it will...) - could you temporarily swap the columns backlog and parking lot.  Then test if you can move into parking-lot and backlog from one of the other status?  Basically, I'm looking to see if it's the parking lot column, or the first column on the board that is the problem.  Swap them back as soon as tested of course!

Deleted user October 18, 2016

Nic - I've tried that one already but it doesn't alter the outcome, I still can't move the item into this Parking Lot column. I can drag the issue but it dashed line around that column does not show up at all. All the other columns are fine and if I move the columns around then it still doesn't show that dashed line. The button to directly transition to 'Parking Lot' still works so it's only drag and drop that shows the problem. (I would have replied earlier but I've not got the reputation points to post too often at the moment.)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 18, 2016

Ok, that's a good test, because it tells us it is definitely something on the transition into "parking lot", and your other tests have shown the behaviour only happens on the board, which saves me a load more questions smile

I'd like a closer look at some other stuff if I may?  Trying to keep the list short:

• Is the transition a "from anywhere"?  The diagram will show a small black box with "all" -> "Parking lot".  If it is not an "all", then can you check that the issue is currently in a status that has a transition into "parking lot" and work with that transition for the following:
  • What conditions are there on the transition?
  • Is there a screen attached to it
  • If you move an issue into "parking lot" from the standard issue view, then go back to the board, is it shown in the "parking lot" column?

The workflow currently has all the states allowing a transition into any other. The thinking being it will be as simple as possible that way. I have the diagram of the workflow here. Currently I've not put any conditions on the transition, there's no special screen attached to it either and if I press the button in standard view to go to Parking Lot it does show up in Parking Lot. In the second screenshot I've moved the columns around and am trying to drag and drop from Current Sprint into Parking Lot, you'll see the dashed lines just don't show up over Parking Lot. Moving the issue from the main issue view via the dropdown options works as expected.

Screen Shot 2016-10-18 at 3.43.54 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-10-18 at 3.50.29 PM.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 18, 2016

I wish all my support calls tested stuff I ask for the way you do.

There is definitely something significantly broken in the workflow.  Those last two pictures make it absolutely clear that "All -> Parking lot" is broken and the previous answers to my questions rule out all sorts of other potential problems.  At this point, I'd want to start digging through logs, but that's not an option on Cloud for us end-users, so it needs to go over to Atlassian Support .  I would attach those last two pictures to show what is wrong, and a third one to make it clear that there are no conditions on the "All -> Parking lot" as we've discussed, plus a link back here.

Thanks for the kind words! I've logged the time on the support site and will let you know what comes of it. Cheers!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events