track my @mentions effectively

Gudni Gylfason May 19, 2014

I am running the IT service for my company through Jira. All employee support and contractor system development is run through 27 projects. This is alot to oversee and we use @mentions to highlight direct questions. It is however not hard to miss these in the flood of notifacations.

I use a JQL string that lets me know if I have been @mentioned: (summary ~ currentUser() OR description ~ currentUser() OR comment ~ currentUser()) AND updatedDate >= -7d

This is limited to the fact that it highlights any issue beeing updated in the last 7 days that has me @mentioned even though the @mention took place long before.

Is there any JQL string or gadet that can help me narrow down to just my @mentions in the time frame that I m looking at?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Zul NS _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 19, 2014

Not aware of default JIRA ability to search comments by its date. But I found some plugins that has such features

Gudni Gylfason May 20, 2014

Ok thank you! do you know if this is on any roadmap or asked for by other users?

Zul NS _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 20, 2014

Open improvement request specific to your requirement can be seen in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-35765:)

Gudni Gylfason May 20, 2014

Thanks I will follow this!

1 vote
Fraser Hardy May 12, 2018

I was having the same problem but have now found a workaround using ToDoist (as i already used this for tracking simple tasks). I setup a filter on Gmail to check for "mentioned you", this then auto forwards these emails to a ToDoist project so I now have a task for each mention for me to action. 

Its quite simplistic at the moment but does the job. I'm planning to build a better process for this with some smarter parsing of the email notifications. 

Alma G October 23, 2018

Good tip but UX is ruined on so many levels when they send @mentins only when mentioning done first time. Why would we have further mentions than at all? 

0 votes
Tai Pham March 22, 2021

This such feature would be really helpful. Currently, the only tool is the assignee but a lot of time people just mention someone in the comment but forgot to change the assignee.

Looking forward to having this filter enabled in Jira.

Suggest an answer