to move a subtask to another story / copy subtask without bulk move.

Juno KWaan May 12, 2015

Hi, I am a beginner to JIRA. 

Now I have faced a trouble, I set a story and some subtasks, but I should divide this story into 2 or 3. and existing subtasks are should re-grouped. 

I can add new stories, (not divide in system), but how can I move a subtasks to new story? 

Please give me directions, 

Thanks. 

3 answers

5 votes
Marion Rosner May 12, 2015

Open up the subtask that you want to move, and click on "More" in the buttons at the top, then "Move". You can either change the issue type or change the parent. Choose "Change the parent" and click the button to continue. You then need to know the number of the new parent to which to move this subtask. You'll need to enter it in the format PROJ-xxxx where PROJ is the project ID and xxxx is the issue number of the parent. Just follow the prompts and you should be fine. It's not immediately obvious where this is, so I understand your frustration.

Good luck, and please let me know if this helps.

Wayne Erfling September 25, 2017

What did Marion mean by "buttons at the top" ???

Does this mean the "ellipsis" drop-down "button" ???

Also, is there a "move sub-task within user story" permission that is needed to make this work. 

Either the "ellipsis" button is not the "More" mentioned, or I am lacking an unknown permission.

Thanks!

Like # people like this
Greg Whitaker November 19, 2019

Worked like a charm, thank you!

Like Tanvir Roushan likes this
shahmatwu February 17, 2020

This only worked for me when I discovered that the items in the autocomplete dropdown list are not selectable because they're just not -- and not because you're trying to click on an invalid parent. As @Marion Rosner wrote, type the issue ID in the form "PROJ-xxxx". After that, click Next.

You can't click on the search result items in the list. Instead, go on faith that the value you manually typed, if correct, will become the new parent. Bad UI.

Like Gustavo Molina likes this
4 votes
Hsu Kim Oon June 26, 2018

I am unable to find the parent issue on the list after I've clicked on "Move" > Change Parent Issue

What's the criteria for a parent issue to appear on the list?

chris August 19, 2019

Typical of Jira .... it only shows EPICS for me inspite of trying to move a SUB TASK.

Oh well .... come to expect strange logic in Jira sadly

0 votes
Symantha Gates April 20, 2021

What is the solution for this in JIRA Cloud? "Move" does not allow "change parent" 

Simon Bramwell May 6, 2021

I have the same problem

Like Symantha Gates likes this
Simon Bramwell May 7, 2021

It turns out that if the option to move a task to another story (change parent) is not available to you, then you can convert it to an Issue, then convert it back to a task which allows you to specify the new parent.

Like Symantha Gates likes this
Symantha Gates May 7, 2021

that's a bit awkward but it works

Suggest an answer