this query is too complex for Simple mode

David Skreiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 24, 2015

One of our departments has a handful of shared filters - one for each translation project.

Our translators have so far selected their relevant issues by choosing the issue Type in your idiot-proof "Basic" mode.

This however does not work any more: JIRA now claims that even the most basic query is too complex for simple mode. 

assignee = "email-address@domain.com"

1. open advanced mode
  2. save the above as a filter
  3. attempt to switch to Basic mode

Result: "This query is too complex for Simple mode"
Expected Result: Simple mode 

7 answers

1 vote
Michael Kornatzki
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 24, 2015

I checked this aginst JIRA 4.4.3 and its the same behaviour.

If i enter an email-address as assignee then i can not switch to simple view.

I think in your case it's a bug.

BTW: why can't you change the username? Because the user use it for login?

0 votes
David Skreiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 24, 2015

I've entered a support query, because Atlassian Support has repeatedly helped me circumvent weird behavior. If they don't have any useful info, I'll enter a JIRA issue (and hopefully remember to paste the ID into here). Again, thanks smile

0 votes
Michael Kornatzki
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 24, 2015

Thanks for the info.
I know that in some companys the mailaddress is the username but don't have in mind this for the problem.
It's good to know now smile

Maybe you can create an issue for that. If you post the id here i will vote for this.

0 votes
David Skreiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 24, 2015

Because I'm only the JIRA admin, not the LDAP admin smile but thank you very much for double-checking. I'll try to see if we can change anything.

0 votes
David Skreiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 24, 2015

So it's a bug that has been around for a while?

In this case username = email address, which I cannot easily change.
And if I  enter the full name, JIRA automatically replaces it with the email address.

0 votes
Michael Kornatzki
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 24, 2015

Hi, i tried the assignee with an email and i also can not switch to the simple mode (JIRA 6.4.10)

I guess its not the problem that you updated but that you use mailadress to search for a user. In the simple mode one use the userid or name not mail.

0 votes
David Skreiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 24, 2015

The filter Basic Mode appears to be broken since we updated to 

Suggest an answer