there is some issues with out workflow buttons

Alejandro Agapito June 9, 2013

Hi, i have a very rare problem, there are some issues with out workflow buttons and i don't know why is the reason can you helpme please ?

3 answers

0 votes
DanielG
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2013

Check your conditions workflow in transitions and you permission scheme... it sound that you have problem with your permission of users...

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2013

Check the permissions on the outgoing workflow transitions. Do you match them? Could you temporarily add a blunt "or if user = Alejandro" clause to them and restest?

If you do, then have a look at the "integrity checker". If issues os_workflow status has drifted off from their issue status, then the workflow can't cope and stops dead. Check the workflow related options in the integrity checker.

but why the same users, make other issues and them have the workflow buttons ? the transitions dont have validations where can i found the integrity checker ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2013

Ok, if they work for other users, then it is definitely the conditions.

Note - NOT "validators", conditions. A validator runs after the user tries the transtion and tells the user "you can't do that" if they get it wrong. A condition stops the transition even appearing to the user - that is what you are seeing here.

You need to go into the workflow (as an admin) and look at the transitions, and look on the conditions tab. You will find that you do not match the conditions (like "you must be in group X" or "you must be a developer in role Y in this project", or "you must be the current assignee"), whereas the other users do.

Alejandro Agapito June 10, 2013

there is not conditions :( in any transition do you have other idea about it ?

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2013
Are there different issuetypes? Maybe there is a workflowscheme using a different flow per certain issuetypes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 10, 2013

I just typed roughly what @C. Faysal said.

If a transition appears for one user and not another, then the only thing in Jira that does that is the workflow conditions. So you're either looking in the wrong place, or at the wrong workflow for the issue-type you've got.

Or you're using a plugin I don't recognise from the symptoms you have.

Im using the plugin JIRA Misc Workflow Extensions and im checking the conditions in the workflows edit rigth click in the transition conditions and the type of the issue is a "Defecto" defect

No there is only one workflow for the project, and if i made other isssue with the same information the new issue has the workflow buttons and i dont know what is the reason

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2013
Ok. What jira version? What plugin version?
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 10, 2013

Ok. Misc workflow extensions shouldn't have any effect here, unless you have used one of the conditions it provides. But you've said you aren't using any conditions.

What's particularly odd is that if you have not used any conditions, then ANYONE can use your workflow transitions, even if they aren't logged in.

I'm afraid we're pretty much stuck here. I can only think of two more things to do:

1) Could you look in the application log (it's usually called atlassian-jira.log). Are there any errors in there when you go into the issue view?

2) Could you give us a screenshot of the transition in the workflow editor, including the conditions tab?

Jira version 5.0 com.innovalog.jmwe.jira-misc-workflow-extensions version 2.5.7.1

http://imageshack.us/f/15/65627124.png/

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 10, 2013

Sorry, I was not clear. The workflow graphical editor is nice to work with, but doesn't help us debug the workflow transitions. Could we look at the text version instead? That transition display shows a lot more information.

However, I've just re-read this thread and realised I've not followed up the other possible problem.

You've said other people get transitions offered to them. But it's not clear if they are being offered the transitions on THIS issue, or new ones that they create? Could you check what other users get offered when they look at one of the issues you have a problem with? This goes back to the integrity thing - if no-one can transition an issue, that's probably the integrity, and not the conditions.

You can find the checker under Administration (search for "integrity" with ctrl-f, or look under "troubleshooting and support")

the workflow is http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/7466/flowq.png and only say me if the checker whould give me with out service becaose in this moment many people is using jira

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 10, 2013

That's better, the text is a lot easier when you're trying to work out what a workflow is doing (in my opinion). Next, could you tell us what status the issue is in, and then go back to the workflow (from the screenshot), and look at one of the transitions out of that status - one that you think should be there and is not appearing for you. A screenshot of what you see there would be really good too.

The integrity checker does not lock Jira out. You might notice that while it runs, Jira loses a little bit of speed, but it's not a lot, and it doesn't run for a long time (it does read every issue once though, so if it's a big installation with a lot of issues, I'd run it before most of your users start work, or after home-time)

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2013

if everything is like it should and the integrity checkers doesn't find issues...

the last thing i can think of is transition properties where someone may did something wrong.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Advanced+Workflow+Configuration#AdvancedWorkflowConfiguration-Workingwithtransitionproperties

im on the open status and i should see the status En progreso, revisión y cerrada but in some issues i can't see it

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2013
There must be a difference between those issues? Does one contain components or customfield values the other doesn't?

Yes all issues have a custom field it is a cascade selector and this selector copy its value in other field

0 votes
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 9, 2013

Maybe those issues are in a final state (step, status...). If are are no outgoing transitions you don't have workflow buttons...

2. idea: You don't have the right to transition those issues (e.g. not member of the project role that is allowed to transition the issue)

Cheers Christian

but the status is open and it has 3 possible transitions, and there are other issues with the same status and they have the workflow buttons

Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 9, 2013

Are you the assignee of all of the issues?

no im not is other user

Suggest an answer