task not visible on active sprint board

Bryan Collick September 23, 2015

Hi all, I've a bit of a head-scratcher here. I'm a project manager of three teams using v6.2, looking at an agile board. Each team has their own board, based on unique queries of the same project. Help was needed from team one, so team two created a ticket and added the correct component to appear on team one's board. I looked at the ticket directly, saw nothing unusual, added it to sprint and assigned it to an engineer on team one. The engineer received notification and started working, but it never showed up on the in the active sprint board. It is visible in in sprint in the "backlog" view. it is visible in the "reports" view. But in the "active sprint" view (which is reached by pressing "2") it does not appear. 

What could I be overlooking that would allow a task to be visible in only two of the three views of JIRA agile?

-B

4 answers

8 votes
Catherine Tsokur April 26, 2019

I have had the same issue, but the re-indexing feature is not available anymore. What I have found out however, helped me to resolve it in my case.

I had a scrum board with a filter on multiple projects + certain label. I had swimlanes by Epic on this board. Some tasks were not shown on the active sprint board, though they were in the sprint (they appeared on the backlog in an active sprint). Even in the board settings in column mapping section the count of the issues per column was not the same, as was actually shown on the board.

I have figured out, that removing swimlines results into showing all my lost tickets.

Why?  Apparently, some epics were not filtered by the board filter - they were either from different projects, or didn't have required label. As a result - those epics did not show on the board as a swimlines, together with any tasks that belonged to them.

That was my issue, hope it can be helpful for others!

Kathy Barton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 28, 2019

Thank you!!!! I was troubleshooting a board with a really funky config and this turned out to be the solution. 

Peter Saulesleja August 29, 2019

Thnak you Catherine.  It fixed my issue (issues were showing up in sprint in the backlog view but missing from Sprint view - which swimlanes by epics).

I too was using a convoluted Board Filter Query (this project and that project and the other project but not this component, plus all tasks with a magic label, plus all tasks owned by specific individuals).

It turned out that the Epic was unowned, and the missing tasks all belonged to such an Epic (whose project is outside the main filter query).

Fixed by assigning the Epic to an individual defined by our query,,,,

1 vote
Stephen Garber
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2019

We ran into the same problem and it was fixed by a project re-index. Our sprint board did have epics as the swimlanes, so that may be a cause of the problem.

0 votes
Vukota August 7, 2019

Hello, 

I had the same problem, only solution which helped me was to Base Swimlanes on Projects not on the epics.

Peter Saulesleja August 29, 2019

For me, I found out what the "missing" issues had that made them appear in the Board (look at your Filter Query), then discovered that the Epic that contained the missing issues didn't meet the Board Filter Query conditions.  In my case, I just had to assign the Epic, since my board filter query is a mix of projects, labels,  and assignees.

0 votes
Nick September 23, 2015

I have two ideas:

• have you actually added the ticket to the sprint?
  • check the "Security Level". If it is private then check the issue permission scheme to make sure use has access to the issue.

Bryan Collick September 28, 2015

Hi Nick, As noted, the ticket was in sprint and was visible in every area except for the active sprint view. To recap: * If I chose the agile board from JIRA's agile dropdown and pressed "1" to for the backlog view, I could see the ticket in sprint. * If I chose the agile board from JIRA's agile dropdown and pressed "2" to for the active sprint view, the ticket IS NOT VISIBLE in sprint. * If I chose the agile board from JIRA's agile dropdown and pressed "3" to for the backlog view, I could see the ticket in sprint. As such, the permissions checker and other diagnostic tools don't identify any issue with security or access. Alas, the sprint has come and gone, and the task is now resolved so this question is now pointless. Thanks anyway!

Hermez May 3, 2018

Hi Bryan,

So you didn't solve it at the end?

I have same issue now...

kevin conroy May 16, 2018

Exactly the same problem - so I set the db to re-index and suddenly.. they all appear on the board when I click on "Active Sprints"

I say "suddenly"....what  I mean is after some considerable time re-indexing our global Jira !!

Like # people like this
Anilkumar B September 11, 2018

So Re-indexing might likely solved this problem !!

May i know what could have caused this problem ?

Like Michael m likes this
Bryan Collick September 11, 2018

@Anilkumar B As I mentioned in response to Nick, no solution came in time for me to identify and definitively solve the problem. However @kevin conroy seems to have had the same problem and found success by reindexing. Give that a try!

Anilkumar B September 19, 2018

Hi @Bryan Collick,

I had tried with full-index but no luck,

Am running out of the ideas, 

Best Regards,
Anil

M T February 10, 2019

I have exactly the same problem as described by Bryan back in 2015. We are running Jira v7.2.2 and here is how the problem unravelled (I am pretty sure by following below steps the problem can be recreated too but cannot confirm that since have not tried):

1.   2 Stories with To Do status were taken out of the active Sprint 1, re-estimated and added to Sprint 2 instead (which will be starting in 2 days time). The same developer name has stayed assigned to the stories.

2. The Sprint field in both tasks shows the correct value of "Sprint 2"

3. Once Sprint scrum board is refreshed the two items disappear from Sprint 2 (which as mentioned has not started as yet) and are moved to backlog. The two items are still showing Sprint 2 value in the Sprint field if stories viewed. At the same time the effort estimation total value for Sprint 2 goes down by the effort estimation total specified for the two stories.

4. I tried all sort of things, deleting/adding labels, components and different things but none of it work except for cloning 2 stories (including the links) which fixed the problem and the clones stay in the Sprint 2. I deleted the two original story tasks.

This has happened 2 more times and I was wondering what the potential problem may be here and whether any of you managed to get of the bottom of this issue. Creating clones and deleting original is far from sustainable solution. I will speak to our admins and see whether re-indexing can be performed. 

Many thanks in advance for any suggestion the forum may have.

Suggest an answer