story points

Raoul Kaiser May 26, 2016

Our original story points field was a numeric field I had to type in. I created a new story points field and made it a drop down of the Fibonacci numbers. I then renamed the old to a new name story points (a) and named the new field to just story points. I thought I was good but now on the boards no point values will show or calculate with velocity. Is there something I am missing or do I just have to go back to my original field? 

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2016

The boards need numeric data to work with - a select list is a set of string names (even if those strings are numbers, they're still just names for options).  You need to use a number field for this.

1 vote
dphanson63_yahoo_com July 30, 2019

Our team added a custom listener using Scriptrunner for Points, which "rounded" up to the next number in the Fibonacci sequence, if the entered value was not a Fibonacci number.  Solution was pretty simple and worked well.  Members quickly learn to stop arguing about a 6 or 7, when the value automatically resets to 8.

I posted our code in a related discussion:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/How-to-limit-story-points-to-a-dropdown-value/qaq-p/259948

1 vote
Heiko Gerlach April 10, 2019

Hi All,

I completely understand this requirement, since any Burndown Chart and Velocity calculation is useless as long as anyone can enter any value. This is why we created the brand new App "StoryPoints" for Jira Server.

It is dedicated to Fibonacci Estimation but supports any Selection Options via easy administration.

For details see here. 

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1220390/storypoints-for-jira?hosting=server&tab=overview

Cheers

Heiko

1 vote
Chris Dunne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 26, 2016

Perhaps you could use post-functions on relevant transitions to copy the value (convert to a number using groovy) into the original story point field.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 26, 2016

Yes, you could, but you'd want to do it as a listener, so you can pick up edits outside the workflow.

Raoul Kaiser May 31, 2016

The post function worked but I did not see where I could make it a listener. Also this only creates copies over during a single transition in the workflow. If I wanted it anytime I entered I would need the listener function.

Chris Dunne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 31, 2016

You can't make a post-function a listener. You would need to write your own listener or use a plugin that provided the functionality directly e.g. scriptrunner could help you write the listener. 

See https://developer.atlassian.com/jiradev/jira-platform/guides/other/tutorial-writing-jira-event-listeners-with-the-atlassian-event-library

Raoul Kaiser May 31, 2016

Thanks for the information Chris. We are using JIRA cloud so I am not sure how easy that would be for me. I will see how the post-function works for now.

Suggest an answer